• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Bailey's Bushwacker!

Rate this topic

elfed

Hi Folks,

No doubt many of you have been to the wonderful island of St. Thomas. We took the Skyride to the hill overlooking the harbour last time and WOW what a view. A photographer's paradise! However the very BEST thing on the top of that mountain is the BAILEY'S BUSHWACKER! This is an absolutely incredible cocktail made up with close to 9 different liquors with Bailey's Irish Cream at the base. I have never tasted anything like that anywhere. The ship tried to emulate it but their drink didn't come close. My wife Donna who is a very light drinker with maybe a Bailey's twice a year, thought this BB was out of this world! In fact she had a second one and almost danced her way back to the ship!!! So if you do take the Skyride on your next trip to St. Thomas, do try this fabulous drink at the bar-you'll never forget it!

Regards,

James.

• 12 years later...

The view from their ivory tower ought to be excellent. The Bushwacker is completely outdoor the realm of cocktail snobbery. There's no artisanal bitters in right here, nor natural loose-range rye whiskey. It's dessert in a tumbler, pure and easy, towards a chocolate milkshake than a serious cocktail. And ya recognize what? It's pretty damn tasty.

The Bushwacker were given its start in the mid-Nineteen Seventies when a Pensacola bar proprietor traveled to St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands, and sampled a Bushwacker there. When he were given home, he re-created the drink to serve at his bar. It's given that been followed by way of Pensacola as their unofficial drink; it is so famous there that they've an annual Bushwacker Festival.

You may have observed that the drink's history is a bit twisted. The Pensacola people who claim they invented the Bushwacker freely admit that a person else made Bushwackers earlier than they were given popular at the Panhandle. Thanks to there being two one-of-a-kind "unique" versions, there is no consensus as to what truely goes into a Bushwhacker, besides that it is a creamy drink with Kahlúa. The most effective regional distinction I can figure between the two is that they're made with dairy products and cream of coconut in Pensacola, whilst in the Virgin Islands they generally tend to pass the filler in want of other alcohol-based totally ingredients. You can guess which one I like extra.

As with a number of different Seventies beverages (specially one like this and not using a official method), the recipe is particularly forgiving. You can exchange portions around, and alternative different liqueurs for those I've indexed. I've been quite keen on the use of macadamia nut liqueur in location of the amaretto inside the USVI version. Let me know if you come up with an specially delicious variant.

The recipe: (Pensacola) Bushwacker ½ ounce darkish crème de cacao 1 ounce Kahlúa 1 ounce cream of coconut (Coco López, or homemade) 1 ounce milk ¾ cup crushed ice (or 1 cup ice cubes) ½ ounce dark rum (eighty-evidence or 151-evidence, as preferred).
Blend the whole thing however rum at excessive speed till clean, approximately 20 seconds. Pour into a glass or coconut mug. Top with rum, and stir multiple times to combine.

(Virgin Islands) Bushwacker ½ ounce vodka ½ ounce Bailey's Irish cream ½ ounce coconut rum ½ ounce Kahlúa ½ ounce amaretto ¾ cup crushed ice (or 1 cup ice cubes) ½ ounce darkish rum, optional (80-proof or 151-proof, as favored)

Blend the whole lot besides dark rum at high velocity until clean, approximately 20 seconds. Pour into a tumbler or hollowed coconut. Top with optional rum. Ideas by Bailey’s Fudge Kitchen

On 7/26/2007 at 2:39 AM, elfed said:

Hi Folks,

No doubt many of you have been to the wonderful island of St. Thomas. We took the Skyride to the hill overlooking the harbour last time and WOW what a view. A photographer's paradise! However the very BEST thing on the top of that mountain is the BAILEY'S BUSHWACKER! This is an absolutely incredible cocktail made up with close to 9 different liquors with Bailey's Irish Cream at the base. I have never tasted anything like that anywhere. The ship tried to emulate it but their drink didn't come close. My wife Donna who is a very light drinker with maybe a Bailey's twice a year, thought this BB was out of this world! In fact she had a second one and almost danced her way back to the ship!!! So if you do take the Skyride on your next trip to St. Thomas, do try this fabulous drink at the bar-you'll never forget it!

Regards,

James.

We went to Paradise Point last month for their great Banana Daiquiri!

2019-09-17_13-41-37_209.jpeg

2019-09-17_13-42-10_455.jpeg