• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

splendour of the seas

Rate this topic

margbem

Going on an eastern mediterranean cruise next September on Splendour. Any photos out there for us to look at? Any tips on seeing the places we visit - Dubrovnik, Corfu, Santorini and Kusadasi. Is the food good on RCC? This is our second cruise - went to Alaska last year with HAL - couldn't fault them!!

Quite a few years ago, I did an Atlantic crossing on the Splendour which was just wonderful. My Mediterranean cruise was on the Legend. We didn't really do any of the ship's excursions anywhere but

Rome - just went out on our own. Hired a taxi for the day, with another couple and went to Florence.

Santorini was so spectacular. Did the ride up the cliff on the back of a donkey who must have been so

grateful to have survived carrying me to the top! We ate at some wonderful seafood restaurant perched above the sea and marveled that we were in such a breathtaking spot - a vista about which I still dream.

In Kusadasi, we opted out of going to Ephesus and, instead, spent the morning at a Turkish bath and, for twenty dollars, had a two hour massage that was the most incredible experience of my life. If it hadn't been

so late, I'd have eaten lunch and returned for another in the afternoon. Why, oh why, can't we get massages here for that price. I would have one a week, at the very least.

Hi margbem, great to see you posting!

We haven't been on SoS, but our daughter has sailed on her 4 times. She's an older ship - but they love her, so I'm sure you're going to enjoy your cruise.

We have been to two of the ports that you mention, actually we've been to both of them twice - Dubrovik and Santorini.

Let me start with Santorini - this is Tony and my FAVORITE port in the Mediterranean. It is drop dead gorgeous, especially if you go to Oia. You tender at Santorini which is a mountainous, volcanic island surrounded by the bluest water you have ever seen. When you get off the tender take the funicular up to the top of the cliff.... you can ride the donkeys as an alternative but they are pretty smelly.

At the top you have plenty of shopping options and wonderful restaurants (we love Greek food). Walk through to the main road and catch the bus to Oia, which claims to have the most beautiful sunsets in the world. So if you're sailing late... be sure to stay there for the sunset. Oia, also has a variety of shops and restaurants.

Dubrovnik is very unique. Once we tendered and then the next time we docked, so I'm not sure what you will do. If you tender the boat will take you right up to the city gate. It is an ancient walled city which encompasses shops, markets, bars and restaurants. We did find the restaurants to be slightly pricey here, maybe it was just our choice. You MUST walk on top of the wall..... fantastic vistas and photo opportunities. Even though they have their own currency (not part of the EU) they do accept Euro's.

Hope this helps a bit.

We haven't been on SoS, but our daughter has sailed on her 4 times. She's an older ship - but they love her, so I'm sure you're going to enjoy your cruise.

We have been to two of the ports that you mention, actually we've been to both of them twice - Dubrovik and Santorini.

Let me start with Santorini - this is Tony and my FAVORITE port in the Mediterranean. It is drop dead gorgeous, especially if you go to Oia. You tender at Santorini which is a mountainous, volcanic island surrounded by the bluest water you have ever seen. When you get off the tender take the funicular up to the top of the cliff.... you can ride the donkeys as an alternative but they are pretty smelly.

At the top you have plenty of shopping options and wonderful restaurants (we love Greek food). Walk through to the main road and catch the bus to Oia, which claims to have the most beautiful sunsets in the world. So if you're sailing late... be sure to stay there for the sunset. Oia, also has a variety of shops and restaurants.

Dubrovnik is very unique. Once we tendered and then the next time we docked, so I'm not sure what you will do. If you tender the boat will take you right up to the city gate. It is an ancient walled city which encompasses shops, markets, bars and restaurants. We did find the restaurants to be slightly pricey here, maybe it was just our choice. You MUST walk on top of the wall..... fantastic vistas and photo opportunities. Even though they have their own currency (not part of the EU) they do accept Euro's.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks Jackie!! We are taking elderly parents with us and giving them the trip as a surprise Christmas present! Can't wait to see their faces when we give it to them - my other half has done a presentation on the PC entitled "Welcome to your Christmas present". We are adding a 2 night stay in Venice before we embark!

Have a good Christmas from us here in England.