• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Cruise Question of the Day: June 2008

Rate this topic

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite port is Long Beach, California.

We can drive down there in 45 minutes, park the car, and be on the ship within an hour and a half, total. No airline involved.

My favorite port of departure would probably be Vancouver because I think it was the most scenic. I've only departed from 3 other ports -Miami, San Juan and Fort Lauderdale.

For convenience, Cape Liberty, NJ. It's only an hours drive from our house and sailing under the VZ Bridge is always a thrill.

As far as a scenic departure, you spend more than 8 hours sailing down the Chesapeake Bay when you leave from Baltimore and that is a very pretty trip, expecially approaching the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel.

We flew in to Baltimore one year because that was the closest that SW would get us (to Philly). We really liked the few days that we spent there.

Guess I need to add Baltimore to my list of places as a cruising port. Thanks for the visual.

Based on the ports we've cruised from we would rate them this way:

Tampa

Port Canaveral

Vancouver

Galveston

Port Everglades

Miami

San Pedro

Houston

Tampa gets our best rating since we've driven there twice. It was very easy getting in and out and back on the road after the cruise.

Houston was the pits! the terminal was so small the check-in had be done on the ship.

Tampa is ours because of convenience. But we like Port Everglades very much because a huge variety of cruises go out of there, the city os gorgeous, the access to the port is easy and especially when we cruise Princess there parking garage is above the check in, so just take your bags down the elevator right into the check in hall... perfect - very user friendly.