• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Cruise Question of the Day: June 2008

Rate this topic

I have to agree that San Juan is the worst because of the airport hassle - security and just general disorganization. We were just there in February. Previously we were there in 2006 and it was so bad we were hesitant about sailing out of there this year. I found the port itself OK (once you get there)!

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miami's airport terminal about drives me nuts. I remember driving in circles in Miami. We finally realized that we were getting nowhere fast when we started paying attention to the scenary. Because of the frantic feeling that the airport gives you, I think it transfers to the ship's port. But once we are on the ship, all of that has been put behind.

We are spoiled. Tucson's airport is small and linear. Easy access in; easy access out.

For me, it's a toss up between Miami (where they lost my luggage and I had no formal wear for the cruise), and Seattle, where getting in and out of the airport was a nightmare.

Miami is the worst port I have never sailed out of. Having lived in Miami for a year anything in Miami is at the bottom of my list including the airport. For the Connie Crazie cruise we will fly in & out of Ft Lauderdale.

My least favorite port that we have sailed out of it would be Long Beach. The port is fine but LAX and the distant to the port, not good.

I think what happens (as with most of anything), the more you cruise, the more you see improvements. So when you see something that is amiss, it really stands out. It's just amazing that the larger airports and seaports don't have their acts together like the smaller ones. (i.e., Miami and Los Angeles may be close to where people live, but their flow of people traffic leaves something to be desired)

The easiest for us is Port of Los Angeles because it's the closest to us. So with airfares going up thats a plus. But there are not as many places to cruise from there, we usually end up leaving from Florida.

Whats the mileage difference between your home and LA vs your home and San Diego?

Joey,

It's about 69 miles closer to San Diego from Tucson (412MILES) LA is 481 miles. But Tucson doesn't have a non stop flight to San Diego, so we have to stop in LA anyway. Our next cruise is 15 days Hawaii leaving and returning to San Diego. Thats why it is actually easier and cheaper to Go to LA.