• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Mayan Ruins

Rate this topic

We want to go on a cruise and visit the Mayan Ruins . . . . . . out of Tampa, Canaveral or Ft. Lauderdale. The Carnival Legend is the closest we've found. Is it best to go to the ruins from Cozamel or Belize? Thanks for your help

Carnival Legend

Day Ports of Call Arrival Departure

1 Tampa, Florida --- 4:00 p.m.

2 At Sea --- ---

3 George Town, Grand Cayman 7:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m.

4 Cozumel, Mexico 10:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

5 Belize City, Belize 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

6 Roatan (Isla Roatan), Bay Islands, Honduras 8:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m.

7 At Sea --- ---

8 Tampa, Florida 8:00 a.m. ---

We want to go on a cruise and visit the Mayan Ruins . . . . . . out of Tampa, Canaveral or Ft. Lauderdale. The Carnival Legend is the closest we've found. Is it best to go to the ruins from Cozamel or Belize? Thanks for your help

Carnival Legend

Day Ports of Call Arrival Departure

1 Tampa, Florida --- 4:00 p.m.

2 At Sea --- ---

3 George Town, Grand Cayman 7:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m.

4 Cozumel, Mexico 10:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

5 Belize City, Belize 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

6 Roatan (Isla Roatan), Bay Islands, Honduras 8:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m.

7 At Sea --- ---

8 Tampa, Florida 8:00 a.m. ---

to answer you Belize is good place to go Maya tour you go to site like Altun ha (were they found the jade head lartest ) this tour is 4 hour long i went there with a tour guide on a private tour you find him (Dorian)

http://belizetraveladventure.page.tl

• 4 weeks later...

We went on the Legend in Feb 2007- the itinerary was a little different- the 1st week -Panama Canal, Costa Rica, and Belize; the 2nd week St Martin, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts. We went to see the Altun ruins in Belize- it was a great tour. Even the bus ride out to the ruins was interesting- you go by different areas, so many kinds of housing from the rich to the poor.

• 1 month later...

We've only been to the Mayan ruins across from Cozumel, so can't really help with a comparison. I enjoyed it immensely. My wife also enjoyed the actual ruins, but got seasick from the boat ride to/from the mainland (it's about 45 minutes to an hour each way).

You also have a 60-90 minute bus ride in each direction - the difference being because you get the dubious privilege of stopping at a Mayan-run store for a half-hour.

The ruins are very impressive, but we weren't allowed to go inside or climb on them (which makes sense from a preservation perspective, but was still disappointing!).

Hope that's some help!

Al Mather

We're Maya buffs, but we can't help you. We saw our Mayan ruins, all over Yucutan, on a land based trip where we stayed at the ruins overnight. When the tour buses full of people from the cruise ships or from the shore resorts were at the ruins, we were either at more remote ruins (Labna, Sayil, Xlapak, one or two others) or taking a siesta.

From what we've heard, the ruins you can get to from Belize are better than Tulum (the main ruin you can get to from Cozumel), unless you relish the ferry ride. Otherwise, you're better off seeing the very modest Maya ruins on the island, and doing something else that doesn't involve a ferry ride. What we did was walk three or four blocks inland, to get away from the tourist area, then visit non-tourist shops, play a round of mini-golf!, and eat at a local restaurant. If you're a "beachie", there are good beaches. There are also things such as ATV rides.

Of course, if you really want to splurge, and your cruise line offers it, you could take a plane ride from Cozumel to either Uxmal or Chichen Itza, the places where we stayed overnight (3 at Chichen, 2 at Uxmal). Those are the most popular large Maya sites. We also spent 2 nights in Merida and 3 in Mexico City.

Chichen Itza is amazing...but it's too bad the ship isn't docking in Progreso. Tulum is nice, but it'll be packed with gringos. Maybe do the tour in Belize, since Belize City is such a garbage pile...and this will give you a chance to get out of town.

Also, if you're going to Roatan...be sure to stop by the pizza place in West End. My parents used to own it, and I spent a few winters slinging pies for people...good times. Roatan is amazing, and you'll love it. The reef at West Bay beats anything in the Caymans and Belize. It's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen...and being in the water will save you from the sand fleas (no-see-ums).

If you go to Anthony's Key...be sure to say hi to Julito for Brenda and Dan!

Also, if you're going to Roatan...be sure to stop by the pizza place in West End. My parents used to own it, and I spent a few winters slinging pies for people...good times. Roatan is amazing, and you'll love it. The reef at West Bay beats anything in the Caymans and Belize. It's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen...and being in the water will save you from the sand fleas (no-see-ums).

When we were in Raotan we went to the Sante Wellness Centre for massages and snorkeling in a little bit of heaven. Did you know the people who run the centre?