• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Goodbye - Galaxy!!!

Rate this topic

zebra

Celebrity Cruises, Members Bid Farewell to Galaxy

Celebrity Cruises' 77,713-ton, 1,850-passenger Celebrity Galaxy, one of the oldest and most intimate ships in the Celebrity Cruises fleet, is just a few weeks away from its final farewell.

After an 11-night Southern Caribbean cruise, departing on March 2, the 11-year-old vessel will leave the Celebrity fleet for a new assignment with TUI Cruises -- a new, German-based cruise line that's a joint venture between Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (Celebrity's parent) and European mega-operator TUI AG.

TUI Cruises held a contest to determine the ship's new name -- and more than 11,000 people sent in over 30,000 suggestions. The winner? The line reports that the name that came up most often was Mein Schiff, which translates to "my ship" in German.

It was newer than Century and they rehabbed Century 2 year ago to bring her up to date. I think it is more a case, as stated, of introducing the new ones, Solstice and Equinox that led to this, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Century go, too. RCCL, owns Pulmantur and this joint venture with TUI, as well as Celebrity and RCL, and they interchange as necessary. The two ships that are now Azamara Journey and Quest were with Pulmantur and they brought them over and sent Horizon to Pulmantur.