• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Disney Cruise Line to base ship in Los Angeles

Rate this topic

mercedes

And the winner is . . . Los Angeles.

The sprawling metropolis officially has beaten out nearby San Diego to become the West Coast home of the Disney Cruise Line.

Disney announced the much-awaited decision today, saying the Disney Wonder would reposition to the Port of Los Angeles from its Florida base in Port Canaveral in 2011.

Disney says it is finalizing a two-year agreement with the California port that could be extended for up to three more years. The contract will be considered by the Port of Los Angeles Board of Harbor Commissioners on April 2, 2009.

If approved, the new Disney Wonder sailings could bring more than 250,000 passengers through the Port of Los Angeles over a five-year period.

Disney has tested seasonal sailings on the West Coast before -- in 2005 and 2008 -- but this is the first time the line will base a ship in the region permanently.

Disney is in the midst of building two new, 122,000-ton cruise ships for delivery in 2011 and 2012 that will greatly increase its capacity and allow expansion to new itineraries. Construction on the ships began earlier this month at a shipyard in Papenburg, Germany.

Joey - you guys must try Disney! It's a class act IMHO. Even without kids, like we cruised it was superb. I loved their specialty dining....... and they have many adult only areas and pool.

Joey - you guys must try Disney! It's a class act IMHO. Even without kids, like we cruised it was superb. I loved their specialty dining....... and they have many adult only areas and pool.

Actually when Carmen posted this.. I thought to myself ... it is at least worth the experience.. David of course worked at the land park in Anaheim as a youth and I went there for my 50th birthday.. so it's not like we are strangers... and I bet they put on one heck of a cruise.. after all Disney is illusion! so it is most definite on our short list..of things to try