• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Cruise Reviews

Rate this topic

We have all read our share of cruise reviews.. the ones where nothing seems to go the way it was "supposed" to go... and those reviews where the author couldnt find a single problem.. and of course a good number of reviews that showed the good the bad and the ugly so to speak... what I find most amazing is the fact that all of these reviews could have been written about the same ship same sailing... so my questions become:

How important are cruise reviews to you? Do you find them trustworthy?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully to answer your question.

Yes I find cruise reviews helpful just as I would product reviews from Amazon or Best Buy. I balance the good with the disappointed.

Some people don't like anything and unless someone is stuck directly up their behind to do their bidding they aren't satisfied.

On the other hand those that find NOTHING wrong are mostly oblivious to their surroundings and haven't a clue of what's happening.

I can enjoy this with a lot less pomp and ceremony than most. I'm easier to please and see things mostly thru the eyes of a poor stiff that's trying to do the work on the ship as the room steward or the waiter. The way some react to some issues, I wouldn't blame the personal to tell them to GTH.

Most people put their shoes on one foot at a time and if you treat stewards and waiters with the same respect that one demands for themselves , one can watch the service just gets better.

Later

Jim

I take everything I read with a grain of salt. The subjectivity that goes into a review makes it dificult to pick out the parts that I may agree or disagree with, so I read most reviews as works of fiction.

I'm sure you have read some of my many reviews posted here. I've been writing reviews for years, probably 10 years. Long before I became a cruise TA. Because I had been on other boards, before this one began, I knew the kind of questions people ask. So I write reviews from the viewpoint of trying to answer the questions people would have about the ship and itinerary/ports.

I've never had a bad cruise, so I've never written a bad review. Some cruises are better than others, due to service or food. I try not to pass judgement, just tell it as I see it.

I remember one cruise specifically that I went on looking for problems because of poor reviews. We had an outstanding time and service. After the cruise I read a review of the same ship and sailing date we were on and you wouldn't know we were on at the same time. It was all negative.

To respond to my own questions..

For me it depends of the author..much Like the wonderful reviews JohnsG and others have posted throught the years here on cruisecrazies some i have read tend to have more integrety then others.. I realize that the reviews are subjective and all are personal observations .. there are some posters that do a remarkable job of calling it right down the middle as they see it.. those are the ones I enjoy the most..

Cruise reviews are like theater reviews. You can't please everyone. Most reviews are good guidelines in general and those by someone you know can be very helpful. In general they are helpful.

Good question. Actually I look at them and look at overall trends and majority opinions. You can usually see a pattern or get an overall idea about things. I also look at the negative reviews too. Honesly sometimes I agree and sometimes I think the critic is being picky. For example to say the food on a mass market line is terrible because it doesn't compare to food on say Crystal or Regent is unfair. Of course not. It won't be but that doesn't make it bad because its less than the best. You have to distinguish between objective criticisms and bashing for its own sake. Believe it or not on a few occasions I've actually added up and averaged all the score from that "other" website just to get an overall idea. On yet a different website there was a discussion comparing CCL to RCI and many there said the latter was far better, no comaprison. Well I took the time to tally and average all the scores from passenger reviews on cc and what did I find? At the time RCI had a average for all their ships of 4.44. CCL came to 4.43. Dies this say alot about how reputation and reality don't always merge?? So do I look at the reviews. Yes, too much maybe :biggrin: