• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Are cruisers spending too much vacation time on the computer?

Rate this topic

Remember when spending a day on a cruise ship meant little more than lounging by the pool?

Not anymore. The big story in cruising over the past two decades has been the roll-out of ever more options on ships, including -- yes -- access to computers and the Internet. And that computer access now is getting even more robust.

Last week, Carnival announced its next ship, the Carnival Dream, would have 36 "FunHubs" sprinkled around its public decks where cruisers not only will be able to tap into the Internet but also access what the line is calling the cruise industry's first on-board social network.

Carnival says passengers will be able to use the portals to create personal profiles that other cruisers can see, and to meet and mingle with other cruisers online during their voyage. Passengers will be able to send and receive private messages to other cruisers through the FunHub stations, create groups based on interests, and invite friends to attend shows or participate in on-board events.

The internet cafe is one of the first things I go and setup after we eat but mostly because I have a web server with about 20 customers and if the server goes down I need to fix it so I'm never really FREE. I usually get pretty lucky and the most it involves is keeping up on my email for any server support questions and there are none. If there were I have peoples to call. That said I sometimes write to you guys. Beyond that it would totally defeat the purpose in my opinion. Who knows.

My girlfriend would kill me if I even looked at a computer while cruising. I am on all the time for my business. she makes sure my vacation is that a vacation.

I've never once been on a computer on board, and don't really plan to in the future. Nothing in our lives is that pressing that we have to be that much in touch. People who have to know how to get in touch with us, do.

Just another reason why we don't have internet at home; don't have cell phones and don't have wireless. Up until a few months ago, our kitchen phone was a Princess DIAL phone.

There is nothing that urgent or important that I need to connect to when I am on vacation.

Just another reason why we don't have internet at home; don't have cell phones and don't have wireless. Up until a few months ago, our kitchen phone was a Princess DIAL phone.

There is nothing that urgent or important that I need to connect to when I am on vacation.

I try, try very hard not to get near a computer when I am on vacation. However,,,,,,when I did my first transatlantic crossing on the Liberty I was in my first semester of my Master's and I had to take my laptop on the cruise for the online class. I even had to take a mid-term exam online while in the middle of the atlantic. The only time I get near the internet while on a cruise ship is for school. But now that I am finished my Master's, I will not be on the internet except the new hubs that will be on the Dream. :biggrin:

Okay, I give. School is very important. I guess I read the initial question as someone who surfs the net, checks email, plays computer catch up while on vacation. I never looked at it for an assignment issue. Thanks for putting me in my place.

On our last Med cruise, my DD had to turn in a few home work assignments. She did it all from her cell phone, (it's like mini computer, it has word, power point, excel, etc.) but had to use the ship’s internet to print out a few docs. I have used the internet a few times to check on the kids back home, but now that I have the same phone as my DD, I don’t have to. I can send e-mail messages from my phone and probably from my iPod Touch, all I need is a WiFi signal.