• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Local leader: Cruise boom has brought 'yuck factor' to downtown Juneau

Rate this topic

mercedes

How many jewelry stores does a small town like Juneau, Alaska need? Definitely not 26 in an area of a few short blocks, says one prominent resident.

In an opinion piece published Tuesday in the Juneau Empire, Greg Fisk, the vice chairman of Juneau's Docks and Harbors Board and a board member of the Juneau Economic Development Council, argues the cruise boom of recent years has brought a "yuck factor" to the mountain-fringed Alaskan capital that needs to be improved.

"How bad is it? I did an informal survey the other day and counted no less than 26 full-on jewelry stores . . . and that's not counting places that sell some jewelry along with artwork and other stuff," he writes. "Throw in a few faux Alaska fur and leather shops, a variety of trinket and T-shirt outlets and some art galleries, and that pretty well sums up the South Franklin (shopping street) experience."

Dreadful, is Fisk's word for it.

It is "the unrelieved mass of it that produces such a yuck factor," he adds. "Sure, it's good for the Juneau property owners who lease the space, and it produces sales tax revenues. But I contend that a more diversified retail sector would produce a greater interest and a better shopping experience for visitors and could provide yearround value to the community."

Fisk says Juneau should woo more high quality retailers such as Abercrombie & Fitch and get behind efforts to bring in more downtown attractions to take the place of the trinket stores. He notes a move to bring the historic Coast Guard Cutter Storis -- the first U.S. vessel to navigate the Northwest passage -- to the town as a museum.

Once on a bus in Ketchican I think the bus driver commented that the town is quiet once the tourist season is over, "just how we like it" or words to that effect. More telling was his tone of voice which basically said we tolerate you (tourists) but are happier when you are not here and things are slow and simple. Maybe some Alaskans live there for the peace and quiet. However there is no stopping tourism there and it does bring in alot of money. For me I can shop at A+F stores in the mall. In Alaska I want to go to stores that sell Alaskan stuff. Then again maybe A+F can come up with an Alaskan themed line, like maybe underwear with a moosehead on it or stuff like that. :biggrin:

"Fisk says Juneau should woo more high quality retailers such as Abercrombie & Fitch..."

Abercrombie & Fitch? High Quality? Is he joking? Why would someone from the lower 48 go to Alaska to shop at a place that sells teenage sex in every mall in the U.S? If shopping in Alaska turns into the same thing as shopping in Kansas City, I will not be shopping in Alaska.