• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Back to back cruise questions

Rate this topic

KeithnRita

Our next cruise is actually two back to back five day cruises. This will be a first for us. Any experienced B2B cruisers out there? Will we have to do anything twice, like checking in again, or getting a new keycard? How about the U.S. Customs declaration form? We will be in the same stateroom and intend on staying aboard when the first cruise ends.

We want to be first in the buffet line and for the drink of the day! :cool2::cool2:

We did our first back to back with Carnival November 2007 (8 days each) and will be doing another with Carnival November 2010 (7 days each).

1. We were in the same stateroom. What did change, however, was our cabin attendant. We were at the end of one contract on the first 8-days. It worked out just fine.

2. We were at the same table for dining. Again, our main waiter changed. We were at the end of his contract as well on the first 8-days. Not so fine, but we adjusted. The menu, however, did not change. So what we had for the first day on the first cruise we had again for the first day on the second leg. Really wasn't that bad in terms of not having anything different. We were able to remember the items that we loved and looked forward to having them again.

3. The night before debarkation, Carnival put a customs form in our room and asked us to fill it out "just in case". We didn't have to do anything else. As a matter of fact, when everyone else was leaving the ship, I was doing laundry. The old room steward was introducing us to our new room steward. Because we were staying, we told him that it didn't matter to us if our room as deeply cleaned. Pretty much after everyone had cleared the ship, a message was sent over the loud speaker that the 28 guests that were doing a back-to-back needed to proceed to such and such lounge. When we got to the lounge, they asked us if we intended to leave the ship and walk around Miami. If so, we got a special pass (like the crew). Carnival issues new ID for the second leg so we had to have something that identified us as passengers already checked in. We took the passes but never used them.

4. Debarkation was a snap. We all walked to the customs folks. Handed them our customs forms and walked back on the ship. Truly just a formality.

5. When we got back to the room, inside was a beautiful fruit and nut basket from the Purser's Desk; a lovely card thanking us for staying with them, our new ID (same picture from the first leg) and all of the booze that we had purchased (remember it's given to you the night before so that you can pack it.)

We were pretty much able to walk around the entire ship. Marcy, James and I went to the gym to work out. We had no clue that it was off limits as no signs were posted. We got in about 20 minutes of weight lifting before we were politely asked to leave.

Jerry stayed in the room and watched t.v. and napped. In between laundry and just walking around a totally empty ship and LOVING it, I didn't do much of anything else. I think on this back-to-back I might do a Miami thing for a couple of hours, guess it depends on how much laundry I'll have to do!

The only other thing that was repeated were the cruise director jokes. The entertainment was different because we were going to different ports and lots of the folks were at the end of their contract.

In a heartbeat, I'd continue to do back to backs as long as I can afford them (time and money)

Our experience in Barcelona in November, 2004 was very different from Debbie & Jerry's in Miami. We were given our new cruise cards very early, and were able to leave the ship before most PAX debarked. We strolled the Ramblas, then took the subway to the Gaudi Church. We also managed to see a museum, go to a market, and stop to see the Ramblas entertainers, and still got back on the ship for a late lunch before most new PAX embarked. Coming back to the ship (the Windstar Wind Surf) was like returning to an old friend.

Since we were in the EU, if there were any customs formalities, they we so minimal that we don't remember them. If you're doing a turnaround in a US port, things might be more complicated.

D&J, thanks for the in depth response to our question! I think that covered everything we were wondering about. :smile::smile:

J&J, maybe on day in the not to distant future we will be able to take an overseas cruise. We did come close last year as we made it to the final three for a Travel Channel Mediterranean cruise. :sad2::sad2:

Lindasue, now is a good time to book a B2B. We only wish we had more time off to book a longer one. :cool2::cool2: