• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

alaskan cruise

Rate this topic

tbarton

I have finally talked my husband who thinks he would rather do all-inclusive resorts into trying a cruise IF it is to Alaska. I am not sure whether to go with the cruise only or the cruise plus land tour. Any suggestions? What ships do you recommend?

If you have the time and money, we would recommend both. We did a 7 day inside passage cruise out of Vancouver in 2001. Unfortunately we could not get off work long enough to do the extended tour to Denali. We did spend an extra two days in Anchorage to visit friends. We also took the Alaska Railroad from Seward to Anchorage and we would highly recommend that. The ship we were on was the HAL Statendam and we liked it just fine. We spent a lot of time in the Crows Nest Lounge at the top of the ship whale watching and viewing the spectacular scenery.

We've done both a cruise-only, and a cruise with the land tour. If you can get the time, the land tour is definitely worth it. We did it with Princess, and their lodges in Alaska are great. I would recommend Princess for Alaska in a minute

We sailed with Princess and thought their tours were well organized and the ship, the Sapphire is a beaut. I've also heard that HAL is very good too. Actually I would think all the major mass market lines would do a nice job so I would recommend a ship or line that suits your style.