• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Did anyone watch Cruising Inc. on CNN last night

Rate this topic

jacketwatch

This was a 1 hr. show about the business end of cruising and it covered the NCL Pearl for a 1 week Western Carib. cruise. They actually calculate how much money needs to to be made from excursions, shopping on board and drinks per person per day to break even. What is most important is to sail at full capacity, even if it means reducing fares. That way once more people are on board the real money comes in from more spending for tours, dinks, etc. They also talked about how much more expensive it is to run US flagged ships so this is why the 3 Hawaiian "Pride" ships had to be reduced to only one as the cost was putting them in the red. NCL has about 10% of the market, CCL has 50% and X/RCL has around 30%. I hope they will rerun this as it was very interesting. :thumbup:

Didn't watch it this weekend, but I've wathced it previously. Sounds like the same show, unless they ran a sequel. I also found it to be very interesting how they have calculated everything, and have set targets for drink sales, excursions, etc. It's also the first time I've seen how the crew quarters were set up. Good show for anyone who enjoys cruising.

This was a 1 hr. show about the business end of cruising and it covered the NCL Pearl for a 1 week Western Carib. cruise. They actually calculate how much money needs to to be made from excursions, shopping on board and drinks per person per day to break even. What is most important is to sail at full capacity, even if it means reducing fares. That way once more people are on board the real money comes in from more spending for tours, dinks, etc. They also talked about how much more expensive it is to run US flagged ships so this is why the 3 Hawaiian "Pride" ships had to be reduced to only one as the cost was putting them in the red. NCL has about 10% of the market, CCL has 50% and X/RCL has around 30%. I hope they will rerun this as it was very interesting. :thumbup:

This is a great show covering all the major aspects of sea and commercial cruising on which mainly most of the people do cruise, this described about the the turnover and expenses of cruise ship industry in this cut-throat competition in this industry as well. This was a nice documentary all over about cruising.