• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Rookie in need of suggestions

Rate this topic

beckyall

Hi!  I'm brand new to the website and to cruising.  My husband and I are going to take our first cruise sometime next year.  (He has to plan next year's vacation time in October.) 

Anyway, we want to sail out of Galveston, TX.  Is there a time of year that you all think is best or is any time ok?  We don't have kids, so aren't bound by the school year.

Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

We sailed out of Galveston and it's a nice port to sail out of. Some folks will not sail during hurricane season. (June 1 to December 1) We are mainly winter cruisers however, we have sailed during that time and (knock on wood) have not been affected. We always purchase cruise insurance just in case!

Welcome aboard Beckyall. I have never sailed from Galveston so I can't comment on the port but October should be less expensive then summer so it should be a good time to sail. We too have sailed many times in hurricane season and we've been very lucky. Definitely get cruise insurance.

Hi, Beckyall, and welcome to CruiseCrazies. We have never sailed from Galveston either, but have sailed during hurricane season also. e have been diverted from one port to another, but that never took away anything from the cruise. Just understand that if there is a hurricane out there, the Captain will keep the ship out of harms way.

Becky,

Not sure if you heard but the Carnival Magic will be home based in Galveston next year. It's will be a brand new ship.

Go to carnival.com and read all about it. We only do Carnival and love them. NEVER had a bad cruise, NEVER.

Welcome to CruiseCrazies, Becky. Glad you found us. We've cruised during Hurricane season, the fall, the winter , spring and summer. We had a hurricane behind us once and we kept switching ports but never had a problem on any cruises. We've sailed Royal Caribbean and Carnival and loved them all. Whatever questions you may have, ask away. There are lots of experienced cruisers here who are happy to help you out.

Welcome beckyall. Love the twist to your user id BTW thumleft.gif. We've never sailed out of Galveston either. We have had two cruises w/ Carnival and have had very good times. I would not hesitate to book w/ them again, the only exception being on one of their older ships which will be phased out at some point. The newer ships are just fine. For a first time cruiser I would advise to consider a balcony cabin. They do cost a bit more but they are really nice too. Its great to sit on your balcony and look at the ocean, have breakfast in the morning and so on. It also gives you a sense of having more room as well.  Have a great time. Larry biggrin.gif

Welcome to our CruiseCrazies, Beckyall! We sailed out of Galveston last year on a western caribbean cruise with Carnival on the Conquest. That was in March. Great time of the year to sail. The only problem you run into is lots of kids because that is usually Spring Break time. We met up with my husband's sister and her hubby and a bunch of their church friends from Arkansas. We went to Jamaica, Cozumel, and Cayman Islands. Had a very good time. Ship was a bit too large for our liking but we enjoyed our vacation. Galveston is an easy port to find your way around in and parking is very easy. We didn't spend the night before the cruise there. We flew in to Houston and spent the night there and then drove from Houston to Galveston to board the cruise the next day.

My advice is to look at all your options before booking and you will enjoy yourselves tremendously!