• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Treasured Memories

Rate this topic

Orrymain

I've gone on two wonderful cruises, both of which have given me some treasured memories, like the night the Northern Lights were seen, the day our passenger cruise ship turned around just to check on a whale that might be injured, and the feeling of going through the Panama Canal and realizing how different it was when my father had gone through. What are some of your treasured memories?

Jerry said this is what I have to add:

March 2007 - Maui, Hawaii; 2nd day. We get up early and walk to the zodiac for the whale watching excursion (booked online so we were with 8 other folks and out for a very long time). I am snapping away picture after picture. I befriended two other people on the zodiac and we exchanged addresses (thankfully). The plan was that we would all share our pictures.

We're walking back towards the center of town and I look at my camera and realize that I hadn't advanced any film (I was using my 35 mm so that if it got wet, oh well)! I had loaded the film, but it never advanced. No wonder I was snapping away. All I did was use the flash!

Needless to say, I had a lot of grovelling to do to the other two folks. Thankfully they had some wonderful pictures.

Whales are amazing!

Hi Orrymain! Welcome aboard! It's so great to have you here.

Have seen the Northern Lights here in MN...it is an amazing sight! We also had whales coming up to our ship on one of our Hawaii cruises. That's so nice that your ship turned around to see if the whale was injured.

I have been on 10 cruises since 1979...have many great memories, but two things that stand out above the rest are...on my first cruise on the "Carnivale" in 1979 (went with my parents) we were allowed to go on a nuclear submarine that was docked next to our ship. The guys onboard had been under for 6 months, (think it was that long) and their superior wanted them to have some fun, so he let them board our ship, and we could go into the sub, and they gave us a great tour...it was amazing to be on a working nuclear sub, and everyone was so wonderful. We pulled out before them, and all the guys were on deck to see us off. It was really somethng to see.

Another that was the most special was on the "Norway" back in 1986. We took my daughter on her first cruise, and one day we were at the railing looking out to sea, and she was so happy, and said to me..."mom, thank you so much for taking me on the cruise. I LOVE the Norway! We took her on one more cruise after that. She loved it! Thought she would be addicted to cruising like me, but she has had some busy times getting married, and having three little ones...LOL I'm sure she will be cruising when she gets the chance.

Edited by Shari2

A memorable event for us was way back on our first cruise and docking in Sint Maarten. Stepping off the ship it was our first time on foreign soil.

Another nice memory was on the Statendam in Alaska. We saw all these white specks at the top of trees and then realized they were Bald Eagles!

The whale event made me just love Princess as a company. These whales had been alongside us for a while and at first, it was all just gazing, but one whale was acting a bit odd. They told us they weren't sure if the whale was showing off, which I guess they do, or if it was injured. They conferred with the whale experts over the radio and then announced we were turning around to go back and observe this whale for a while to get a better idea of its condition. People applauded. We arrived a little late at the next port, but o one cared. Turning around was the talk of the cruisegoers, and we are all happy when they announced that after watching closely for quite a while that the whale was just being a show off for us. Great show, Whale! He was swimming along quite nicely when we finally went on our way. I have never forgotten it.