• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Maui - what to do?

Rate this topic

zebra

We will be visiting Maui on our next cruise and wanted to pick to brains here on the forum. What do you suggest we do? We were thinking of getting a rental car for the day ... would you suggest this??

We've been there twice (on a cruise). First time was only late afternoon through the evening so we booked a laua and loved it. Second time was two days. We arrived mid to late morning the first day. I wanted to rent a car and drive up country and see the lavender farm. Jerry really had no interest. So the first day we did the city walking tour/shopping thing. During this walking around, we found a whale watching slip (away from the tender dock about 1 mile) and we booked an early morning whale watch. It was on a zodiac and was the best thing we ever did. Zodiac probably held 10 people.

Most of the cruisers booked a laua the first night. Since we already had that expense the first time, we attended the ship's laua that was on the pool deck. They even brought in hula dancers from the island so it was pretty genuine.

Jackie, everyone says that Up Country is well worth the drive. IF you can get a rental car (book it before you leave) I would do it. It is definitely on my list of have to do!

• 2 weeks later...

Jackie - we are doing Maui next spring but not on a cruise. It looks like the "Road to Hana" is a must. Unless you like buses (I don't) car would be the best plan. It looks like a leisurely 3 or 4 hour drive each way - with lots of twists and turns.

Debbie - the lavendar farm is on my list too :o)

Edited by hazelson

• 8 months later...

Jackie - we are doing Maui next spring but not on a cruise. It looks like the "Road to Hana" is a must. Unless you like buses (I don't) car would be the best plan. It looks like a leisurely 3 or 4 hour drive each way - with lots of twists and turns.

Debbie - the lavendar farm is on my list too :o)

Jenn- Are you still planning to do Maui? If so, when will you be there? We are scheduled to arrive on April 25.

Jackie,

We cruised Hawaii twice and the first time we were in Maui for two days...did some typical shore excursions and did book the Old Lahaina Luau on our own. Best rated luau in Hawaii! The second time we were in Maui we sprung for a small luxury van tour that took us up Haleakala, to the Lavendar farm (where they spread out a wonderful hot lunch for us - white linens and all!) and then on to the Tedeschi Winery and finally the Surfing Goat Dairy. It was a wonderful tour with just the 6 of us in the van. I would also recommend the Road to Hana.......we have not done that yet (plan to in September) but have heard wonderful things....unless you tend to get carsick....then I've heard it's not so fun :unsure: .

• 2 weeks later...

We have done the luau, the Hana Road and Haleakula. We've also done luaus on Oahu, and the Maui one was better. Plan to get there a tad bit early, to look over the uncovering of the pig. For the Hana Road, rent a car. The road is simply not well-designed for a bus, and you're likely to get motion sickness with the side-to-side motion of the bus. There's nothing much in Hana itself, but there is a nice waterfall on the road, plus a few other picturesque spots. There are places to pull over and park for a spell also. Haleakula is best done in the morning. For the adventuresome among you, they have a tour that includes a bus ride up and a bicycle ride down. Don't let the bike speed up too much, or you'll wear out the brake pads and zoom into town at 70! Also, take time to walk through town a bit. It's a pleasant walk.

• 1 year later...

we just got back from our hawaii cruise and while we loved all the island, Maui was absolutely stunning! we did the Taste of Maui tour and we were totally impressed. it was an island tour combined with lunch, wine tasting, food sampling, the lavendar farm, stories of maui, our tour guide even played the ukilalie (she's from hawaii and was a wonderful host). we found the tour at http://hawaiicruiseexcursions.com/MauiIslandTasteTour.htmhttp://hawaiicruiseexcursions.com/MauiIslandTasteTour.htm

but we did some research and found reviews on trip advisor too

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60631-d3214956-Reviews-Taste_of_Maui_Island_Tours-Kahului_Maui_Hawaii.html

lovely island, lovely tour, lovely day....love Maui!!!

we just got back from our hawaii cruise and while we loved all the island, Maui was absolutely stunning! we did the Taste of Maui tour and we were totally impressed. it was an island tour combined with lunch, wine tasting, food sampling, the lavendar farm, stories of maui, our tour guide even played the ukilalie (she's from hawaii and was a wonderful host). we found the tour at http://hawaiicruiseexcursions.com/MauiIslandTasteTour.htmhttp://hawaiicruiseexcursions.com/MauiIslandTasteTour.htm

but we did some research and found reviews on trip advisor too

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60631-d3214956-Reviews-Taste_of_Maui_Island_Tours-Kahului_Maui_Hawaii.html

lovely island, lovely tour, lovely day....love Maui!!!

Thanks for posting the Maui information. Maybe one day we will make it to Hawaii. Also, Welcome to CruiseCrazies! :smile: :smile: