• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Panama Canal Trip

Rate this topic

SeminoleMike

Just back from a 14-day Panama Canal cruise on the ms Statendam. We had a few problems that caused us to miss two port calls. The first cancellation was for Huatulco, MX due to that fact that we blew out one of the 5 engines and had to overnight @ Puerto Viarta (unscheduled) and a sister ship (Oosterdam) came by and gave us an engine that they did not need. After the switch during the night we were off again.

Two days later, as we approached Puerto Chiapas MX, our ship experienced large swells that required the pilot to abort the entrance to the port as the ship may run aground and/or be damaged by the tidal action when docked. Port call. cancelled.

HAL quickly gave us credit for the two excursions that were cancelled.

Also, a fellow guest became seriously ill and we made an unscheduled stop @ Acapulco to tender him off to a hospital.

We still had 4 port calls that we were able to take as well as the transit of the Canal, which in itself is a real education and thrill.

The Cruise Log that we were provided the last day is a fantastic keepsake and summary of the two weeks.

Edited by SeminoleMike

Mike, thanks for the post. Sorry to hear about the problems encountered. To me, makes it more of an adventure.

I have a girlfriend who is cruising the canal in Sept, but I'm not sure which ship. This itinerary is on my "bucket list" as well.