• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Do you overpack for a cruise?

Rate this topic

gogetter

• 3 weeks later...

We learned after 10 cruises how not to overpack like we did in the past. I remember a time when we took a suitcase just for shoes! Can't believe we ever did that.

It took me a long time, but even as a woman I can now cut down to the bare minimum, and not be lacking. I mean, I can always buy a Tshirt on the ship or in a port if I need one, so why overpack Tshirts? Neutral, solid colors can be mixed and matched. And if I wear the same outfit for both formal nights? Big whoop. When I stopped caring about what other people thought, then I also was able to cut back on what I pack.

And, room to spare in the suitcase means room to bring home purchases! :wink2:

• 3 weeks later...

I use to pack at least 3 different "outfits" for each day because I was never sure what I would want to wear. Now I don't care if I wear the same thing everyday!!

After our last trip, I made a list of what I wore. That is now in the suitcase. That is what I will pack for the next trip. I hope I can stick to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny DH overpacks Marylou.

I have it down to a science most of the time. The only real problem I have is when we do cold weather cruises........living in Florida it's hard to decide how heavy the clothes should be. Alaska is hard the Caribbean easy.

The one thing I have a hard time with is shoes! It seems like I take so many pairs of shoes: sandals, walking shoes, flip-flops, water shoes, dress shoes and then possibly two pairs of sandals and dress shoes depending on my color schemes. I really need to "get it together"!! :blush:

I always plan to take just what I'll need but at the very last minute, I always through in a few more things that I never wear. But, I am getting a bit better about that. The shoes are the easiest part for me. I pack black sandals, white sandals, both for evening, and sneakers for the day since I rarely put on a bathing suit. If I should, I could wear the black or white sandals to the pool. But I do pack lots to keep me busy- book, small needlepoint and a sewing project.

• 5 months later...

My 9th cruise is here in 25 days, and it probably took me 7 cruises to really get it.

I no longer do it, but it was bad before! I attribute it to my first four cruises were all to Alaska, and you do need a bit more when going there.