• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

The worst port to me was......

Rate this topic

gogetter

We’ve been to at least 80 different ports and I can’t think of any we’d never return to. We’ve been to Ocho Rios four times; we’ve done cruise line excursions, third party excursions, and just explored on our own. On our last visit we made friends with a wonderful local guide who we would definitely recommend – we’ll use her again for sure.

• 2 months later...

Montego Bay is a port we would not venture out on our own. As long as you are with an excursion group you should be okay. Also, there is a secured shopping area at the port. We will be there is Sept and may just stay aboard ship that day.

Also, welcome aboard the CruiseCrazies ship!

• 3 weeks later...

We've been to Belize twice and I didn't find it as scarey or unsettling as I did Ochos Rios. We did sign up for excursions when we were in Belize so I guess that explains why we didn't feel unsafe. The first time we were in Ochos Rios, we took the falls excursion - which was okay. But we could not wait to get back to the ship. The second time we were there (planned on an Eastern Carib and a hurricane changed the itinerary to Western), we hired a cab and pretty much never left the cab. Tried to do some shopping. No matter what we looked at, people were literally in our faces trying to get us to buy their stuff or buy their dope! Ochos Rios is the only place where we've been hit up for buying drugs.

I was very uneasy about going to Jamaica, too, when we went in 2010. I heard so many bad stories, and it was right around the time they were having all that political stuff going on in Kingston. We did a tour with a reputable local guy who guided us away from the scary stuff at the end of Dunn's River Falls where you have to run the gauntlet. As a result, we had a really nice Island tour. :smile: That is the only way I would do Jamaica again.

My parents used to vacation in the islands every year. They took me to Jamaica when I was 12 years old, and we visited Kingston, Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. All were quite safe and interesting. Jamaica was a crown colony then. That was the first foreign port I had ever been to and it started my wanderlust... I'm sorry to see what that lovely island has become.

• 1 month later...

Definitely Guatemala and Belize for us. They were far from appealing. Has anyone had problems in Cartegena? We are doing the Southern with Norwegian on October 20th and first stop will be Cartegena.

Jim

Edited by c21jim

• 1 month later...

Bridgetown, Barbados....If you get out of the city it's ok, if you only stay downtown, you will be highly disappointed. This is one port where you need to take an excursion. Just my opinion. We have been twice and avoided downtown the last visit. There are stores/shops at the cruise terminal.