• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

The worst port to me was......

Rate this topic

gogetter

We were approched and asked to by drugs

We don’t really care if the offer is “Ganja, mon?” or “Braid your hair, pretty lady?” (or pretty much anything else), our answer is always “No thanks” and whoever’s offering usually moves along to the next person...

• 3 months later...
BELIZE & OCHOS RIOS, :thumbdown:THEY CAN HAVE THEM BOTHexcl.gif

Don't know about Belize, but I wouldn't want to be alone in Ochos Rios. We did a Plantation tour which was fine, but a little long. When the bus stopped in the town for a little gift shop, a couple of beggars made it uncomfortable.

Bridgetown, Barbados....If you get out of the city it's ok, if you only stay downtown, you will be highly disappointed. This is one port where you need to take an excursion. Just my opinion. We have been twice and avoided downtown the last visit. There are stores/shops at the cruise terminal.

I liked your photo. Is the tram the one in Juneau?

I also belong to Cruise Critics and after reading the stories about Jamaica and Mexico, I am going to be very cautious about what we do when we dock at those ports. Can someone tell me about Cozumel? My husband does not want us getting off the ship in Mexico because of all the problems going on. I would like to just go to a beach close by the port and just relax, but he would prefer to stay on the ship. Also, we are going to Montego Bay. I've head that some of the people in Jamaica are very pushy and I don't like people following us trying to get us to buy their wares. It is really sad that some of the ports have gone downhill with crime and other problems, but I say it's better to be safe than sorry. If I have to stay on the ship, then I will.

We went to Cozumel a few years ago. We did an excursion to see the pyramids. There was a long walk at one part, but that was the only thing hard at all. I had my photo vest on and got over-heated. The excursion was on the mainland so we had to take a boat from the island of Cozumel. In Ochos Rios we took an excursion to see the falls and a plantation. The ride was long, but the tour guide was great. Stopping in town on the way back was harrowing because of people wanting handouts on the way into the store. The store was just touristy stuff.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="JaniceR41" data-cid="814711" data-time="1375647425"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Roger25375" data-cid="804608" data-time="1354759413"><p>Bridgetown, Barbados....If you get out of the city it's ok, if you only stay downtown, you will be highly disappointed. This is one port where you need to take an excursion. Just my opinion. We have been twice and avoided downtown the last visit. There are stores/shops at the cruise terminal.</p></blockquote>

I liked your photo. Is the tram the one in Juneau?</p></blockquote>

Yes that was Mt Roberts Tramway in Juneau

I also belong to Cruise Critics and after reading the stories about Jamaica and Mexico, I am going to be very cautious about what we do when we dock at those ports. Can someone tell me about Cozumel? My husband does not want us getting off the ship in Mexico because of all the problems going on. I would like to just go to a beach close by the port and just relax, but he would prefer to stay on the ship. Also, we are going to Montego Bay. I've head that some of the people in Jamaica are very pushy and I don't like people following us trying to get us to buy their wares. It is really sad that some of the ports have gone downhill with crime and other problems, but I say it's better to be safe than sorry. If I have to stay on the ship, then I will.

I loved Cozumel. We walked and shopped and felt alright. I did think that the locals were aggressive in asking for us to look at their stuff until we got to Kingstown Jamaica! That imo was the worst! I got separated from my group by a lady who I thought was just trying to be friendly. She offered me a free hair braid and then 2 other ladies started braiding my hair. I tried to say I didn't want any and until I screamed "I'm not paying for any of this!!" they finally stopped. :(

any bad feelings about Montego bay? one of our stops in november....would rather know ahead of time. only planning to stay close to the port and a beach close by...decided not to do any excursions at this port

Personally, I LOVE Montego Bay! I've been there dozens of times and never had any issues. I would suggest that you avoid the 'crafts market' if you have a difficult time dealing with a 'high pressure sell' but other than that you should be fine. I you finally elect to do a guided excursion there are a TON of them that are very reputable and completely trustworthy.

The Jamaicans are proud, independent and dirt poor. They struggle for everything they have and display amazing national pride. The island is frequently called 'The Jewel of the Caribbean' and for excellent reason. It's beautiful. The rivers, waterfalls, rain forests coastline and beaches are beyond compare.

If you don't visit the island when you make port you're cheating yourself.

• 8 months later...

WOW pretty cool after all these years.......

Anyways, quite honestly, isn't it ironic that some people may like one port while others don't like it?

Talking about armed guards I saw them in Belize too. We did a catamaran in Ocho Rios and had the most memorable time ever, I can still see it now!

Cozumel was awesome to me and countless fun times in Grand Cayman. I truly enjoy Nassau. Don't go to Atlantis, I go the other way to Cable beach and have never been disappointed. The 10a bus was fun and the yellowbird was fun in my younger days! ST Lucia and St Kitts were good for us.

After all beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?