• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

How much weight do you gain when you cruise?

Rate this topic

GottaCruz

We've recently returned from a 4 day cruise and I gained 61/2 pounds. When we used to do the 7 day cruises, I don't remember what I gained but by the end of the cruise, I couldn't fit into my clothing so I remember taking larger sizes for the last part of the cruise.

How much do you gain and do you also take different sizes or elastic waists???

Many of the comedians say that you leave as a passenger and come home as cargo. That certainly is true for me. :tongue:

The past year (3 cruises) I have only put on a pound and on one cruise I maintained. These have been short cruises - I know it will be a different story on a long cruise. I walk the stairs up and down and also walk/run the track each day plus go to the gym. I try not to eat any desserts, but otherwise enjoy most foods on board .... maybe a glass of wine too many laugh.gif

I usually gain about 3 pounds - Ugh! On our Galapagos cruise, though, I actually lost 4 pounds. The daily routine on that cruise was two excursions of hiking and climbing that lasted 3 to 3 1/2 hours EACH, and the temperature was 112, LOL! :laugh: It's true! I thoroughly enjoyed every meal and made good use of the included cocktails or I'm sure I would have lost a lot more!!

I believe that a lot of "holiday" and/or "vacation" weight gain is temporary. Mostly due to alcohol, sauces, butter and salt. Oh yea, and desserts! (and not a lot of water!!!)

Even if you follow a "spa" program or moderate eating, you are still at the mercy of how the food is prepared. Think about it. If you went out for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day for 3-4 days, you'd gain weight!

The problem is when you continue to eat "in the cruise style" when you get home! (Okay, I can't afford that, but I mean with the alcohol, yummy breads, sauces, butter, desserts, etc.)

So, live it up and enjoy the vacation and get back to the program of healthy eating (which is truly not starving but conscious choices) once you get home.

And, yes: I bring skinny clothes to wear the first day (or 2) and elastic waist bands for the remainder.

I guess I lived it up or lapped it up a little too much. :blush: I did get in my 18,000 steps a day but I guess I still shouldn't have eaten 2 plates full at dinner, or 2 in one. Ugh!!! After losing 30 pounds over the last 3 years, you would think I would have had better control but I guess I lost it. On our last few cruises, Wayne and I did stay clear of desserts until the last day or two but we just went hog wild this time. I do need to control myself more but, I must say, I did enjoy every morsel and glad that I did it and now will just get back on track till the next cruise. On as a passenger, off as cargo, as the comedians say. That is me.