• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Formal nights

Rate this topic

saltydog

Since I have been away from the site for awhile not sure if this has been discussed. Apologies if it has been. Was curious how folks think about formal nights. My bride and I enjoy them. I have in the past rented a tux but usually wear a dark suit. I know attitudes are chaning re dress up nights but 2 or 3 on a long cruise don't seem to bad. Would love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

I like dressing up, at least for one night. However, I can see how the ever-increasing bag fees the airlines are imposing is putting a crimp in our dress-up clothes! :angry: I manage to find ways to save space when packing my clothes, but when you're a guy with a tux or jacket, it's a little more difficult to pack light. On our cruise to Ireland and Scotland, I did think about leaving the dressy stuff at home and going totally business casual, but my husband wouldn't hear of it. It was tough, but we managed to get the stuff all in one bag despite Virgin Atlantic's ridiculous weight limits. :smile:

The airline baggage fees are certainly a concern these days. We are flying back from Denmark on Icelandic and they are fairly reasonable with their fees. I agree it is hard to pack everything so renting the tux is a good option. Thanks for your input.

I am ok w/ formal nights. However I usually lose the tie and jacket after dinner but its nice to see folks dress up. Then there is the matter of the dress code being enforced in the MDR. On our last cruise on the Equinox it seemed they meant business on the 1st formal night but the 2nd one was pretty loose.

We like to dress up (bought a tux before our third cruise) but how dressed up depends on a lot of things – cruise line, length of cruise, driving or flying to the ship. As much as we’d like to always have our bags packed ready to go, every cruise is different for us so we try to pack accordingly.

One of the many reasons we fell in love with sea cruises is the opportunity to dress up. I guess we have become traditionalists. We've been driving to port lately so packing the formal wear is not that big of a deal. For those who fly it has become a big deal and another added expense for the extra baggage charges. It does not bother us if we are dressed up for formal night and others are not. To each their own.

• 2 weeks later...

We like to dress up because Tucson, Arizona is a very casual city. We went to a Saturday evening wedding, at a very fancy country club and men were in JEANS and cowboy boots!! (Not us!)

Definitely a hassle to pack the extra shoes, clothes and jewelry, etc. But I have learned that it's okay to wear the same outfit for both nights. Heck, the men do!