• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Any comments from cruisers about the Carnival Dream?

Rate this topic

BillHarbin

I am a travel agent and booked a client on the Carnival Dream in late May and now they want to cancel. It seemed CNN had one passenger call in saying toilets were stopped up and conditions were terrible which Carnival says was not true. I believe Carnival and not CNN, does anyone have any comments or know someone that was on that ship?

Here's my opinion Bill......I sailed on the Dream back in 2010 and ABSOLUTELY loved it!!! We had one of the new Cove Balconies and would recommend it to anyone. The new design approach Carnival has taken and getting away from the "oranges" and Greek designs, totally brought me back to Carnival. Back when the Dream first sailed, there had been complaints about the smell of sewerage which was immediately addressed by Carnival and when we sailed in 2010, we were mid-ship and had no complaints (and no smells). The reports did not keep us from sailing. As for CNN, understand that they are scraping and clawing for viewers. Without any major news to report (such as with the 24 hour coverage of the Triumph), CNN is losing viewership and sponsors so they will take an issue and beat it into the ground. As I have posted in many areas of Cruisecrazies, it seems that new or ill-informed cruisers are the major people that react to these stories. There are so many way's and internet sites to retrieve current information from past cruisers that have sailed on any passenger vessel. For anyone not to take advantage of the resources of the internet to research their vacation produces a poor vacation. If your client is going to base their decision not to sail because of the report of one passenger (that may have backed up the toilet themselves or just their cabin had an issue), the question is if they really wanted to go in the first place. A story reported ESPECIALLY by CNN stating the issue wouldn't keep me from going...not when the cruise date is so close!!!

Hi Bill - I think that the media hears both sides of the story but chooses to emphasize only the bad reports, and this is what the general public hears to base their opinion on whether to cruise or not. The fact that Carnival had four separate incidents within a short amount of time certainly doesn't help, and unfortunately they will suffer cancellations from currently booked passengers, as well as future bookings - at least until the dust settles and the memory of these incidents fades away over time.

I think the booked passenger who would be most likely to cancel would be a first time cruiser, incorrectly under the impression that cruising is not safe. A veteran cruiser realizes that stuff can happen - on any cruise line - and will simply keep the booking, and those who believe it's primarily a Carnival issue will simply re-book on another cruiseline (providing, of course, they're not in the cancellation penalty period).

Thanks for everyone's comments...I showed her your replies plus Carnival's statement about the Dream which told truth instead of the news drama and with a little common sense talk she decided to keep the booking and go have fun! I heard about the "cove balconies" while on a Carnival cruise and with the comments given here I feel it is something we have to experience soon!!!!!

Bill, your clients made the right choice and will be grateful for the good advice when they return and have nothing but glowing comments. Please keep us posted and let us know how they liked their cruise.