• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

OK, Here's a question for you all.........

Rate this topic

Sarge6870

For years I have always wondered, What are those Hatches on the front of cruise ships? You know, the one's that are opened on each side when the ship enters and leaves port. There are usually crew members standing on them. I have searched for an answer on the internet but no luck!! :unsure:

The crew stand on there and they have radio's to contact the bridge. They are there to let the bridge know of anything that may show up that the Captain and pilot cannot see from the bridge. The crew member is also in contact with the crew behind him running the machinery for the ropes they tie the ship to the dock with. They are just extra eyes to make coming into port and leaving port safer.

The crew stand on there and they have radio's to contact the bridge. They are there to let the bridge know of anything that may show up that the Captain and pilot cannot see from the bridge. The crew member is also in contact with the crew behind him running the machinery for the ropes they tie the ship to the dock with. They are just extra eyes to make coming into port and leaving port safer.

I guess what I really meant was "What are those hatches called"?

Well, I can’t find anything to confirm this, but I seem to remember hearing those bow hatches referred to as “dive boards” (there’s probably a more official, nautical term though). I’m pretty sure they’re used by the officer in charge of mooring the ship to monitor how those big ropes are deployed or retracted.

Well, I can’t find anything to confirm this, but I seem to remember hearing those bow hatches referred to as “dive boards” (there’s probably a more official, nautical term though). I’m pretty sure they’re used by the officer in charge of mooring the ship to monitor how those big ropes are deployed or retracted.

RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!!! After you identified them as "Dive Boards", I did some further research and found that those hatches (Dive Boards) are used for the Officer to communicate with the mooring/line people. Well done!!! Kudos!! :thumbup: