• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

You think your stateroom is small

Rate this topic

Eph60

Married couples that work on a cruise ship will be given a room just for them. They will not be sharing a room with others regardless of rank. At least that is the way it was on the ships I was on.

Frankly, the conditions US Navy people used to have were similar or worse. Most enlisted slept in a compartment housing a dozen or more and the only personal space was the bunk, and a storage locker beneath it. Shared bathroom. And even today, they try to berth people in the same departments (or smaller organizational units called "divisions") in the same berthing areas. I was an officer and when I reported to my first ship on a cruiser, my bunkroom for junior officers had bunks for 10. Not much different from the enlisted spaces. Just a bit more storage. Most officers, even today, share a stateroom with another officer or 3.

And we worked 12 hours a day, 7 days a week much of the time, when at sea, and we'd go on deployments for 6 months or more......so I have great empathy for the cruise line employees. Been there...done that. And Navy people still do.

Edited by JohnG