• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Crew free time

Rate this topic

Eph60

I have mentioned how many hours a week a crew member works. It is also true that crew members do get some hours off every day. If you are lucky occasionally you will get up to 4 hours off before you must get back to work. This seems like a lifetime because you do work so many hours.

If you have time off and you are in port you can go take tours or walk around as long as you have not done somehting to be punished.

The cruise ship also has a small gym, rec room, computer room and books and movies available to them for no extra charge. They do have a crew bar with limited hours of availability and reduced prices.

There will be a crew area on outer decks some of these have pools or possibly basketball courts. At the very least it will have chairs to sit and relax in.

The cruise line will set up special shows to see in the theaters onboard the ship. They may set up a beach party on shore or bowling or use of a movie theater in town.

Many times you can find crew members playing some type of sport, like baseball or volleyball in a park in port.

Some of the time off will be spent doing their own laundry. They can get their uniforms done.

Some things that may prevent them from any of these privilages are not cleaning their rooms. They do room checks to make sure you are not destroying your room. Not showing up for their job on time or performing their job properly. Any minor violation of rules. Major violations will mean being fired.

Here's a question for you eph....Some years back, we sailed on the Carnival Pride where we had the most delightful couple that served us in the dining room (we had assigned seating). The main waiter for our table was training a female waiter and it was most obvious they had a "thing" going. We saw them in one of the ports hanging out together. What are the "rules" towards dating other crew members onboard? Another question.......Is there a site where we can go to reconnect with past crew members? I had been a member on one years ago but after many re-installs of Windows and computer upgrades, I lost that site.

Loving your topics, Eph. I'm surprised to hear about the room checks, although I guess a lot of adults need this. I'm very interested in Sarge's question , about crew members dating. Thanks, again, Eph, for the great info.

Sarge6870 To answer your question about crew dating, there are many crew members who date. There are married crew members also. The crew members can and do request to work on the same ships. The one problem with crew members dating is if they break up. There is nowhere to go to get away from each other.

As far as a place to get a hold of past crew members I am sure there is one but the ones I keep in touch with we exchanged email addresses before we left the ships. Facebook use to have an area to look up different cruise line employee's.

Regarding crew members breaking up: I have a friend who did one contract as head of security on a cruise ship – he said the most common thing he had to deal with by far was fights between crew members over who slept with whose boyfriend/girlfriend…