• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Do you purchase travel insurance? Weigh in with your thoughts here ...

Rate this topic

Jan115

I have always bought insurance for my cruise. Thankfully I have never had to rely on it but my reasoning is "hey, you never know"!! Life throws many curves at us and in the event I have to cancel my cruise for any covered reason, it's calming to know that I won't loose out on that money.

Always. Last Oct. we got stranded in Madrid as our flight back was delayed by super storm Sandy and we could not wait the six days UAL wanted us to wait so we purchased our own air back on Lufthansa which was 100% comped by our trip insurance from insure my trip . Com. I say get it!

We always buy insurance, as well. First, because of our aging and ill parents. Now that they are no longer with us, we are the aging parents. :ohmy:

Six years ago, on a land vacation on Cape Cod, I fell and double-fractured my ankle on the very first day of the week. I spent three days at Cape Cod hospital, with surgery to put it back together, and went right back to the cottage with a cast, a boot and a pair of crutches to finish out the week. I hate to think what might have happened if I had been on a cruise. Excellent reason to purchase insurance. :smile:

We ALWAYS have travel insurance. It’s not so much about missing the trip altogether as it is about the things that come up during the trip. We’ve had luggage get lost. We’ve had flights grounded (and had to make our own way to the ship via two trains!). Mom & Dad have had more than one visit to the ship’s doctor. Travel insurance has reimbursed us for all these expenses and more – it’s paid for itself many times over!

We buy travel insurance but usually not through the cruise lines. We are normally spending extra time before and after a cruise and many times travel by train to and from a cruise so we buy seperate insurance. There have been to many close calls with family members that the need for insurance almost became necessary. I am sure some day it will be necessary and using it just once would make all the years of purchase worth it.

We always get the insurance from the travel agent, even for our 3 or 4 day cruises. My mom is 89 so you never know.In fact, we had to use the insurance over a year ago for hubby when he had a medical issue before our cruise. At this point, we wouldn't think of not getting it.

Always....consider it part of the cost of cruising. Many years ago we were on a cruise when Jim's sister passed away unexpectedly. We were on our way back from our last port of call but had we gotten the message 1 hour earlier we would have had to leave the cruise and fly home. After that we always get insurance.

In all our cruises we have thankfully only had to use it once when I got a nasty (and very expensive) eye infection and had to use the ship's Dr. and meds. Insurance reimbursed us completely.