• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

My first negative post about RCCL (and I haven't even sailed yet)!

Rate this topic

Sarge6870

As you know, we are scheduled to sail on the Jewel in 2 weeks. I purchased an "Unlimited Soda Package" for Chrissy since she doesn't drink any alcohol. Tonight, after doing some math and seeing it might save me some money, I went online to the RCCL site to purchase one of the unlimited drink (alcohol) packages. The only way the site would allow me to buy it was if I bought it for BOTH of us ($180 for one, $360 for both of us). I called RCCL, TWICE because I couldn't believe the reason they gave me they do that and the only way around it. In order for me to purchase the package for just myself, they want my wife to go to get a doctors note indicating she does not drink alcohol. REALLY???? They say they do this to prevent me from buying her drinks on just my package (which I kind of understand) thus causing them to lose money. I was told the same thing by two different associates. My thinking is this.....Now that she has the unlimited soda package, what prevents her from getting me free soda??? Also, how do they think a note from a doctor is going to prevent me from getting her drinks on my unlimited alcohol package???? I'm sorry, but they have to have a better way to do this!!!

I remember reading that rule when the package came out, and how it has to be purchased for each person in your cabin, which is a huge rip-off if you ask me. Maybe if enough people complain, they'll change that ridiculous policy.

It just makes no sense to ask a passenger to incur a doctors bill just to appease them! It would make more sense for them to have me sign a declaration stating I wouldn't use my package to buy her drinks. And if they found I did, cancel the package with no refund. I still can't see how a doctors note would prevent anyone from buying drinks for others!! And let's be honest here, with the bulk purchase they have of alcohol for their entire fleet versus what they charge onboard, how will they "lose" money???

I hate to say it, but I can totally see why this is the rule. Soda costs them pennies... if that. But it would start to add up quickly against Royal's bottom line if people were sharing alcohol packages. And then we would all pay higher fares, which no one wants to do. I'm not sure what the solution is... but I can see why they are doing it this way and I can't say I blame them, unfortunately.

-gina-

Hi Gina. I disagree. If you consider the "bulk purchase" contracts that the cruise lines have with the beverage suppliers for their entire fleet, they are already paying pennies on the dollar for alcoholic beverages then charging the passengers $6 - $8 PLUS per drink for onboard purchases. I realize that the cruiselines are a for-profit business, but a mark-up of 500% for purchases of drinks is obnoxious. Then, not allowing you to bring aboard your own alcohol (except for maybe 2 btls of wine). I am and have been a fan of cruising since 1990 and will continue to cruise. It's just that with what I mentioned above, along with the fact that RCCL needs a doctors note to regulate the use of the package is IMHO ludicrous. Just have me sign a declaration saying I won't abuse the package or it will be cancelled without a refund should be enough.

Hi Gina. I disagree. If you consider the "bulk purchase" contracts that the cruise lines have with the beverage suppliers for their entire fleet, they are already paying pennies on the dollar for alcoholic beverages then charging the passengers $6 - $8 PLUS per drink for onboard purchases. I realize that the cruiselines are a for-profit business, but a mark-up of 500% for purchases of drinks is obnoxious. Then, not allowing you to bring aboard your own alcohol (except for maybe 2 btls of wine). I am and have been a fan of cruising since 1990 and will continue to cruise. It's just that with what I mentioned above, along with the fact that RCCL needs a doctors note to regulate the use of the package is IMHO ludicrous. Just have me sign a declaration saying I won't abuse the package or it will be cancelled without a refund should be enough.

Hi Sarge :smile:

I get what you're saying, and I do agree with you that the alcohol markups are pretty obnoxious. Maybe there's some legal CYA reason for making all parties in a stateroom buy the same package?

I love RCI, but this is one more reason I truly love DCL -- You can bring aboard all the booze you can stuff in your carryon. Maybe because they know you'll need it, with all the extra kids onboard? :tongue:

I do know this policy of RCI's comes up a lot on other boards, and it's a sore spot for a lot of people. Hopefully the line will be able to come up with some sort of solution that makes people happy!

-gina-

I love RCI, but this is one more reason I truly love DCL -- You can bring aboard all the booze you can stuff in your carryon. Maybe because they know you'll need it, with all the extra kids onboard? :tongue:LOL Gina!!! :laugh:

Yeah, the doctor's note is ridiculous. Did anyone see the Travel Channel's segment on Norwegian Cruise Lines? Well, if RCI operates the same way, every ship that sails needs to meet a set figure for alcohol sales. If they don't, that cruise has lost money - or something to that effect. Booze is the second biggest money maker on a cruise, after excursions, and selling 2 drink packages per cabin is going to be more profitable than selling one. Crazy, isn't it?