• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

My first negative post about RCCL (and I haven't even sailed yet)!

Rate this topic

Sarge6870

This is ridiculous. The MD would have to be silly to write such a note to begin with. How does he/she know what you will do when on board or in even in normal circumstances? ? RCI is nuts to require this. Well back to the old bring it in the shampoo bottles trick. :tongue:

*** UPDATE*** Spoke to an associate that I had spoken to months ago that helped in booking our November cruise on the "Brilliance". A wonderful rep named Kim. She remembered me by name!! She apologized for the mis-information I received from the other two reps the prior day. She said all I have to do is present the letter when I purchase the package onboard and that's all I need to do. The other 2 reps told me I had to submit the letter for RCCL approval prior to the cruise!! Kim told me the ONLY way to purchase the single package WAS onboard. Even if I submitted the letter to RCCL prior to the sail date, the hardcopy would STILL have to be presented onboard to purchase the package anyway!! She said that there was no way to purchase the single package on the website with or without the doctors note! It "MUST" be done onboard. So, we'll play along. Even though I do not appreciate the feeling of being "bullied" into taking this route. Chrissy already had a doctors appointment set for the day before the cruise so she'll get a note from the doc for RCCL. I'll let you know how that goes..........

I'm really glad it sounds like you'll be able to get the package just for yourself with a minimum of hassle! I do wish we knew their actual logic behind the policy... but at least it's doable to just get the one package.

Have a wonderful cruise!! :smile:

-gina-

Wow, I really don’t get the doctor’s note. How are “I don’t drink,” and “I was really too sick to come to school,” the same thing? :rolleyes2:

But I do sort of get that cabin mates are required to participate. I’m sure there are studies and statistics that show people traveling together share a similar lifestyle; if one drinks they probably both drink.

We both work for pretty big companies and everyone knows we cruise a lot. Hardly a week goes by where someone doesn’t ask us how to get free or cheep booze on board. I have no doubt that many, many passengers would abuse the drink packages every week if they could…

Oh I get the basis behind it too. BUT, to automatically assume that everyone is going to abuse the package is unfair to those of us that won't!! My thought was for RCCL to approach the issue on a case by case basis . If you get caught abusing the package, they can withdraw it with no refund due. I'd be willing to sign and agree to a disclosure such as that. My wife does not drink...at all!! Never has. For RCCL to ask passengers to secure a letter (which as I stated wouldn't prevent anyone from abusing the package) from a doctor at the passengers expense is sending a message that they don't trust any of their passengers. She has no medical conditions that prevents her from drinking alcohol, she just has always chosen NOT to!! It never interested her. Some people smoke, some do not. Some people eat meat, some do not. Some people drink, some do not. Were not going to let the issue put a damper on our cruise. We'll play the game and Chrissy will get a letter from the doctor the day before the cruise to present to them onboard so I can purchase the package just for myself.

Interesting policy... How would they know? Do they have a *drink* monitor on every passenger that goes off when you have a drink and you didn't purchase a card? Sorry.... just being a bit off the wall... But... as with anything... You will have people that will abuse any policy you have and that makes the remainder of us who follow things to the letter have to pay for their misdeeds...

I drink water and coffee most of the time so it's not that hard for me... Now when they start charging for coffee we will have a big problem!!!

Just curious if there are 2 parents going with their 2 children and they book a mom and child in one cabin and a dad and child in the other cabin, then just one of the adults would have to pay for the drink package and both could drink. Don't flame me as I don't drink so don't care one way or the other....

On our last cruise (Celebrity, not Royal Caribbean, but I think they have the same policies) our table mates were a couple with two kids (ages 11 and 12). For booking purposes they had one parent and one kid in each room but of course switched on board. Since each was booked with a minor the Dad was able to get the drink package even though the Mom didn’t want it. They didn’t abuse it though, at least not in front of us.

That’s the long answer to your question Linda. The short answer is, “Yes.” :smile: