• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Fantastic views from a cruise ship

Rate this topic

Eph60

Cruising during hurricane season can cause some problems for a cruise, such as waves, rain and winds. Having said that one of the best views I have had from a ship deck was during hurricane season. The ship does change course to try to avoid as much trouble as possible and because of that on one of our trips in the Caribbean the ship was trying to avoid a hurricane. We actually had great weather and calm seas but in the distance at night you could see the storm off in the distance. The light show it provided for us while sitting out on the deck at night was worth taking the cruise all by itself. In otherwords storms can provide a beautiful site if the ship is positioned right.

On our first cruise together, Cindy and I were hit by a hurricane that sped up and caught us just after we left New York. The captain did steer awaqy from the storm as well as possible, but we did end up in 35 foot seas. I found this to be one of the most exciting things that ever happened on one of our cruises. I had no fear, just excitement. Not everyone felt the same as I did, but I did meet a few people on that cruise that thought the same thing. The cruise line tried to make out from it later on in the cruise. They left certificates in our cabins stating we were now members of the Hurricane Society. Then they tried to sell us a portfolio with a picture of the angry seas that we could put the certificate into.

Unfortunately I did not take pictures. I have found over the years that I take less and less pictures. The reason I take less pictures is while looking at pictures I have taken I noticed that I missed a lot in the background of the photo because I was focusing on a specific item. What this means to me is that I many times prefer to just watch something to get the whole effect instead of take a picture. A storm is one instance where I want to look at the whole thing instead of trying to catch a specific picture.

• 2 weeks later...
We actually had great weather and calm seas but in the distance at night you could see the storm off in the distance. The light show it provided for us while sitting out on the deck at night was worth taking the cruise all by itself.

Sounds like an amazing view! We’ve been in rough seas a few times but never with that kind of view of a storm in the distance!