• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

What is more important to you

Rate this topic

Eph60

I was reading another post and the question popped in my head. What is more important to you sea days or ports? In otherwords do you need a port intensive cruise or are you happy with more sea days?

For me I prefer sea days, the more the better. For my wife she likes to have more port days.

For me, while getting to lie on a gorgeous tropical beach is definitely a plus, it's the icing on the cake -- the ship is the destination! It's like summer camp for grownups. I'd be perfectly happy if the ship did donuts in the middle of the ocean for a week. :biggrin:

-gina-

I used to prefer more sea days - and I still LOVE relaxing days at sea. But I find the older I get and the longer the bucket list gets, it's the ports that matter more. I guess what I need is a LONGER cruise, so I can have a equal share of both! :tongue:

That is a good question. The sea days are relaxing but I like to see different places and learn about them and where can you wake up day after day in a different place. I guess I am like Jan, longer cruise then you have a number of both. :)

For me it depends on the ship and the amount of day's the cruise is! I am more partial to sea days (Chrissy is not) but if it is a crowded cruise, with a lot of noisy partying and no place to relax up on deck, I look forward to a port day or two!!

We like a mixture of both. We’ve found that a cruise without any sea days can be exhausting! On the other hand, we used to sometimes find sea days frustrating – no empty deck chairs by the pool, long lines in the buffet – but over the years we’ve learned the timing to avoid those issues.

One thing we enjoy that a lot of people don’t – visiting a port that we’ve already been to a few times. We still go ashore every time, but we can quickly visit our favorite attractions, shops or restaurants and return to the nearly empty ship to enjoy all of the ship-board amenities with no crowds at all! It’s the best of both choices – like having your own sea day while everyone else in port!

It is a split decision for us, too. My wife likes lots of sea days, and I prefer port days. But I agree with Amy that too many/port intensive itineraries don't allow time to relax. Now, with ships like Norwegian Epic and Breakaway, and RCCL's Oasis and Allure of the Seas, you need more sea time just to take advantage of all they have to offer. Maybe that is why I like the smaller ships like Azamara and Oceania because the spend longer time in ports, including overnights, and it is easy to get to know the ship and what it has to offer.

Sea Days! The back to back of port visits gets tiring. We would love the "true" Southern Caribbean (out of San Juan), but there are zillions of port calls in a row. We purposely look for cruises that have at least 2 sea days in a row. Loved the 5 day sailing from San Diego to Hawaii and the 5 day sailing back. Even with no sunshine and lots of wind. An incredibly relaxing voyage.

• 3 weeks later...

Port days,we like to stay busy. We were very disappointed in RCCL and the activities planned on the sea days last year to and from Alaska. Sticking to Carnival as they always have more planned on sea days and there is no way you can do it all.