• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Cold weather departure

Rate this topic

Hi

I'm thinking about doing a cruise out of New York on the new Norweigian Breakaway in either December or February. I know it will be freezing when we leave, does anyone know how the seas will be that time of year? I've never done the Bermuda cruise because I do get motion sick and have always heard that was a rough cruise

The ship doesn't do the Bermuda itinerary at that time of year. It does a Florida Bahama itineraries. In fact on Jan 5 and 19 it is doing a 12 night Southern Caribbean itinerary. Then the rest of Feb it begins 7 night Florida and Bahamas itineraries. The season in Bermuda is April to Oct.

After leaving York at any time of year, until you get below North Carolina, it can have more motion. But this is a very big ship.

The itinerary to Bermuda shouldn't be rough unless there has been a northeaster in the winter or a hurricane between May and November.

Hi moonbee! Have you sailed out of New York (or any of the northeast ports) before? We’ve only sailed north out of New York and that was late-September (Bermuda this October though!).

Of course the seas can be rough anytime, and there’s certainly no predicting the weather, but you’re talking about one of the newest, most technologically advanced ships afloat – I’d take the chance!

Keep us posted on your plans!

For same reasons, the Quantum of the Seas, which will be homeported at Cape Liberty, New Jersey, will also be doing Bahamas, Southern, and Eastern Caribbean sailings through the winter of 2014/15.

Edited by JohnG