• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Queasy Beads for Motion Sickness: Has Anyone Used Them?

Rate this topic

Jan115

I've heard of these mentioned as a stylish alternative to sea bands for motion? Do they work? There is a website, I believe, aptly entitled queasybeads.com if you want to check them out. Any opinions would be appreciated, as I leave for Alaska in 8 weeks.

I had never even heard of those! Went to the website and checked them out -- they certainly look a whole lot better than SeaBands.

Since they work on the same principle as the other bands, with that bigger bead taking the place of the "button", I think the drawbacks are the same as well.

1.) First off, those bands/bracelets have to be pretty dang tight to be even remotely effective... You have to measure correctly and make sure to get the right size bracelet.

2.) You have to wear them at a spot further away from your hand than you would normally wear a bracelet -- That would drive me to distraction. I know myself, and I would constantly be rolling them back into the "right" place -- which for the intended purpose, would be the wrong spot.

3.) That accupressure spot doesn't work for everyone.

Have you tried the other bands before? Personally, I just swear by Bonine -- or rather, the much much cheaper generic form. One little chewable pill a day and I am good to go!

-gina-

Thanks ladies! Actually, I am always prepared with bonine, dramamine or ginger - but have never had to use them. I brought them all for my brother, especially on our last cruise, thinking he would need them as he used to get car sick as a kid. They didn't need them, either. A friend of mine mentioned the beads, and I was just wondering what people thought.

Gina, thanks for the information about bands in general. I wasn't aware of any of it - just that some people have had good luck with them.

I'll stick with my bonine backup!

Like your brother my car sickness started as a child, car trips were torture and I didn't grow out of it. I just take a pill and climb aboard (whether it is a plane or a ship) so that I can get away.

I leave for Alaska in 8 weeks.

We’re lucky enough that we’ve never had any issues with motion sickness. However, we’ve noticed that Alaska cruises seem to involve far less motion than other itineraries. Maybe because they never really get out to sea as you spend a lot of time sailing closer to shore.

Yes, Mike and Amy - I think that is true for sailings - especially from Vancouver. However, I recently read a review of the Grand Princess to the inside passage from San Francisco which was forced to miss their first port of Juneau because of very rough seas and fog along the northern Pacific coast with the ship having to reduce speed. So, I think I better be prepared - just in case. :unsure:

Hadn't heard of the beads before this. Think I'll just stick to the Bonine, too. I have used the non-drowsy. I only really had to use the Bonine once in 10 cruises... on my Hawaii cruise from San Diego to Hawaii. We had some rough seas starting out, and I couldn't believe how sick I was getting since it had never happened before. I took the Bonine, and it worked fast for me...it was formal night, and I made it to dinner and got to enjoy the whole evening, and cruise after that. We sailed out of the rough seas and I didn't have to take another Bonine after that.