• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Europe/Mediterranean: Favorite ships and ports!

Rate this topic

Shari2

Hi Everyone...my niece has mentioned that she and her husband are looking into going on a European cruise for their anniversary. I have not been, yet...my husband and I may go next June, so I am interested also. I would love it if you would comment on the European/Mediterranean ports that you liked, and why...also the ships you liked when you sailed there, and why. And also any other helpful things to know when traveling there.

Thanks, Cruise Crazies!

Kevin...I did check the ports section, and there were some good remarks there, but I'm looking for some more recent ones. I know we have a few people who were on recent Med cruises. You have some nice ports on your coming cruise. Some of them are on my dream list, but I really would like to visit Venice, also.

Well the Equinox has to be our fav ship but as for ports that's a tough one. We've been on 3 med cruises and one to the holy land which has med ports. It's close but for the sheer richness of history it has to be Israel. Part of that choice is having a licensed guide in Israel which exponentially enhanced our experience.

A close second for us is Istanbul which sadly now is in turmoil. It's a great city to see and it's hard to imagine that lovely section, Taksim, being besieged by rioters.

Actually most ports are really nice. Rome is a gem too but for me my choices above do the most for me.

Cool topic too!

Hi Larry...thank you for sharing. I have heard other good things about the "Equinox." Would love to sail on her. Very sad about Istanbul...it does sound like a very interesting place to visit. Israel...I have long wanted to go there...just a little nervous about the world situation these days. Thanks again...I do need to start looking at ships, ports, and prices. My nieces cruise would be this year...mine not till next year...hopefully things will improve in those areas, but it's not likely. Thanks, again.

Shari - We are booked on the Reflection for next summer. The ship is scheduled to do an overnight in Istanbul. I am watching the news reports out of Turkey and Greece and will wait and see what develops before making a decision about switching itineraries.

Shari: actually our Holy land cruise became altered twice d/t local politics. We were originally supposed to go to Alexandria but that got cancelled because of the political issues there at that time. Celebrity added 2 more days in Israel instead by adding two days in Haifa as well as the two in in Ashdod. Then the night before we were to dock in Ashdod that was cancelled d/t rocket attacks there from Gaza so we had to go straight to Haifa way up north.

Our guide took us to the Dead Sea and Masada and on the way back we saw several Israeli Merkava main battle tanks heading to the Gaza area.