• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Luggage: Spinner or Rollerboard?

Rate this topic

Jan115

Fellow cruisers: What is your luggage of choice - 2-wheel (rollerboard) or 4-wheel (spinner)? I'm in the market for new luggage. While I'm accustomed to pulling my 2-wheeler behind me, I'm curious about the spinners - even though it always looks odd gliding along side a person.

What's your favorite luggage and why?

We bought the hard cased light weight spinners, so much easier to glide through the airports. Howie sometimes pulls his on 2 wheels but I'm happy with the spinners.

Watch the weight of some of them. Howies other suitcase weighs 12 pounds! We only use it if we are driving.

Hmm, never really gave much thought to the luggage. One of the great things about cruising for us is we rarely touch our luggage. When we drive to the port someone takes our bags and they show up at our room in a couple hours. Afterward we do take the bags through customs ourselves but we could just as easily get a porter. Flying isn’t much worse – the distance from curb to check-in and baggage claim to taxi or vice versa – as long as you don’t go over the weight limit!

Hmm, never really gave much thought to the luggage. One of the great things about cruising for us is we rarely touch our luggage. When we drive to the port someone takes our bags and they show up at our room in a couple hours. Afterward we do take the bags through customs ourselves but we could just as easily get a porter. Flying isn’t much worse – the distance from curb to check-in and baggage claim to taxi or vice versa – as long as you don’t go over the weight limit!

Good point! I probably wouldn't be giving it a second thought either if (a) I hadn't discovered the existence of 4-wheel luggage shopping around and (b) the absurd weight limits of some airlines - especially carryon (which I discovered on Virgin Atlantic last summer). My next purchase will definitely be the light-weight variety.

I am looking at Travelpro Maxlite 2: http://www.luggagefactory.com/travelpro_maxlite2.shtml

I'll probably go with the 2-wheel because it's less expensive (in this set) and that's what we know. And my DH doesn't like change. :rolleyes2:

• 3 weeks later...

I had no idea that luggage came with 4 wheels. OMG. This is like a balcony cabin. Once you upgrade, you're spoiled!

I found some really nice luggage at JCP that had many pockets and compartments for shoes, toiletries, etc. Jerry will shoot me if I now tell him I need new, new luggage.

Jan, let us know what you decide.

Debbie, I'll let you know how it turns out. I noticed how much easier it is just rolling it through the house. Of course, my husband doesn't like change and thinks I'm nuts buying new luggage.