• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

The abandoned cruise ship half-sunken in the Solomon Islands [PHOTOS]

Rate this topic

Jason

By cruise ship standards, the World Discoverer is relatively small at 287 feet long, but its wreck is still a sight to behold. Listing 46 degrees to starboard, the rusting vessel languishes near the shore of Roderick Bay, Solomon Islands, where it has become both a tourist attraction and an object of local looting.

The ship was built in Germany in 1974 and initially named the BEWA Discoverer after being sold to Denmark’s BEWA Cruises. Sold on several times over the years, and registered in a number of countries including Singapore and Liberia, she was ultimately renamed World Discoverer and sported a double hull to allow for voyages to the Antarctic Peninsula.

After more than two decades of service, World Discoverer struck an uncharted reef in the Solomon Islands‘ Sandfly Passage on Sunday, April 30, 2000. A ferry answered the stricken ship’s distress call and carried her passengers to safety. Meanwhile Captain Oliver Kruess and his crew heroically grounded World Discoverer in Roderick Bay to avoid sinking.

The wreck has remained in Roderick Bay ever since, but is not thought to post an immediate environmental hazard. An underwater survey declared World Discoverer a “constructive loss” but efforts to salvage the vessel were hampered by civil war in the Solomon Islands. Now rusting and ransacked, the World Discoverer makes for an interesting attraction for passing cruise ships.

Check out these amazing photos:

wd3.jpg

wd9.jpg

wd6.jpg

wd8.jpg

wd4.jpg

By Tom, Urban Ghosts Media

For more cruise news & articles go to http://www.cruisecrazies.com/index.html

Re-posted on CruiseCrazies.com - Cruise News, Articles, Forums, Packing List, Ship Tracker, and more

http://www.cruisecrazies.com

View full article

I don't know what is wrong with me. I think that is one of the coolest things... I'd love to go inside it....

These thoughts creep in my head followed by the voice on my shoulder saying "man, you ARE nuts!"

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Sarge6870" data-cid="815112" data-time="1376655886"><p>

You sure it's that "voice on your shoulder" or maybe your husband over your shoulder? :D</p></blockquote>

True... Very, Very True :)