• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

POLL: Will the remains of those missing now be recovered from Concordia?

Rate this topic

Jason

Will the bodies missing from Costa Concordia be recovered once re-floated?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Will the bodies missing from Costa Concordia be recovered once re-floated?

• Yes
    • No

When the Costa Concordia cruise liner ran aground on a reef and partially sunk on January 13, 2012, there were 32 lives lost of which 2 bodies were never found, eventually presumed dead. With the final stage of the most expensive, complex, and largest salvage operation in history set for Monday, Sept 16, the Costa Concordia will rise from the seabed, will be re-floated, and towed to a scrapyard.

Once the ship is set up-right and stabilized, divers will attempt to locate the remains of the two missing.

Do you think the bodies will be recovered?

Add your vote above, and comment below!

I hope so for the sake of the family members left behind to mourn. They need closure and without remains to bury, that closure is hard. My husband's uncle was on the USS Greyback submarine during WWII when it sank. It was never recovered, and my grandmother-in-law never accepted the fact that her son was gone and not coming home from the war. She always had hope until her dying day that he would return.

So... My hope & prayer is for the families, that the bodies will be recovered.

Some may, if they were in compartments sealed off from the sea. But for the others, fish and seawater-immersion likely have combined to disintegrate the bodies. I would think no soft tissue would remain or be identifiable, although there may be some skeletal remains. Probably, the victims will remain "lost at sea."

• 3 weeks later...