• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Cruise Review - Summit to Bermuda

Rate this topic

BTW is true U can't rent a car there?

You are correct, Larry. Non-residents are forbidden to rent or drive cars in Bermuda. The only motorized vehicle rentals allowed are scooters. I've done them twice, and it's a fantastic way to get around - with extreme caution, though, as roads are narrow, winding and congested (especially in the highly populated areas) - and you have to remember to drive on the left. Since I've become less coordinated and unsure of myself these days, for me, that leaves busses, taxis, the ferry - or by foot.

Larry - I have to add to Jan's post. We have taken 26 cruises to Bermuda and have NEVER been on a cruise where someone wasn't injured on the scooters while there. On our last cruise in May we had 2 people on board who were injured and 1 person left behind in the hospital

That's right, MaryLou, and that's why the cruise lines highly advise against them. The one positive thing about them is that you can cover a lot of territory in a day, allowing you to visit parts of the island inaccessible by car. Now that the ships arriving to Bermuda are bigger than ever, with more tourists than ever - especially when ships are in port - the roads have become a free-for-all. And the locals do get frustrated getting to and from work and home with inexperienced scooter riders who don't know where they're going or don't know left from right at the roundabouts. And I can tell you from experience, it's very intimidating when you're driving a scooter with a truck on your tail. With the amount of traffic on the road and the number of accidents involving tourists, I'm surprised they're still available to rent.

• 4 weeks later...