• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Safety concerns regarding cruising

Rate this topic

RossJoh

Hi there,

I am planning my first cruising to New York with my family. I am very much excited about the trip. But while I was searching for the traveling safety and other legal matters, I found an article regarding that https://campisilaw.ca/blog/things-to-consider-when-you-have-been-injured-in-an-accident-while-travelling/. I am little worried and don't know what should I do in such a situation. What should I do as a precaution? Will I be safe if I had a travel insurance?

We started purchasing cruise insurance when a friend pointed out "can you afford to lose your money if something happened and you had to cancel your cruise, etc.?"  We learned, however, that not all travel insurance covers pre-existing conditions.  You need to be able to read the policy and understand what's covered before you make the purchase.  And, even if you have the travel insurance, one of the first questions the form asks is, "what other insurance do you have?"

So, I would look at your current health insurance and find out beforehand what it does and does not cover when you are on a cruise.  I have found, tho, that the cost of travel insurance is really minimal - especially if you need to be evacuated by helicopter (which we have seen on almost all of our cruises and we have been on over 25!)

I hope you enjoy your first cruise.  I'm excited for you and cannot wait to hear more about it.

Hi RossJoh...Welcome to Cruise Crazies. You definitely need travel insurance these days.   I have also seen people be taken off the ship in a helicopter for a heart attack , etc.  Also good if you have elderly parents or someone who may need you, and you have to cancel the cruise or go back home while on the ship.  I had to cancel once when my mom had a heart attack right before we were scheduled to leave on our trip.  We did get a full refund.  Debbie is right about reading the policy and being sure it will cover you and your family's needs.  What ship will you be on when traveling to New York?  Will that be a Fall cruise to Canada?  Hope you have wonderful cruise and come back and tell us all about it.