• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Unforgettable characters you met while cruising,

Rate this topic

We have met quite a few characters but this guy has to be #1 on the list. He was super friendly and outgoing and he told us this story in his broken English about his wife so I'll try to retell it as best I can. You'll have to imagine his accent. :).

She say I wanna makka some food so go getta da cheese so I go.  I came back and she say where you getta da cheese so I say Romanos. She say aaah! thatsa no good.  Next time  go to  Tonys. So a few days later she say go getta da cheese but go to Tonys. So I go to Romanos and say I getta da cheese at Tonys. So she makka da food.  Then I say how you know the difference. She say mama mia "the taste, the taste." 

He said still i donta believe. :). 

• 1 month later...

Love it!  Italian? 

We have met some wonderful people on our cruises.  On our honeymoon we had a nice couple from Northern CA. at our dinner table.  We were on for two weeks, and they were on for one week...his boss gave him the cruise for being a great employee.  Anyway, we were traveling the Mexican Riviera, and after the first week we had stopped in Acapulco and our new friends  were leaving the ship and flying back home.  They were staying at a really nice hotel overnight and they asked us to come and visit and have dinner with them.  This was our first time in Mexico (outside of a short time in Tijuana for me) .  We met them at their hotel and they showed us their nice room and balcony...way up so high it made me dizzy just walking out there...LOL  We went to dinner and I remembered to not order any drinks or salads or things that might make us sick.  Marc said that this is a high class place so they will be careful about that.  Well...we had a week to go on our honeymoon, and we said goodbye to our friends, and went back to the ship.  The next day Marc got very sick...thankfully I got sick the next day...I only say thankfully since there was only one bathroom in our room.  LOL  We were sick for a few days...when we got home Marc called our new friends and they were sick also...so we figured out it was at the "high class" hotel dinner.  TMI, I know...sorry...but it was something that you don't forget...LOL  Very  nice couple, though.  We have kept in contact with some of the people we have met...some are very good friends from another cruise ship board.  Some I have contact with on FB. 

On 3/4/2017 at 11:54 AM, jacketwatch said:

We have met quite a few characters but this guy has to be #1 on the list. He was super friendly and outgoing and he told us this story in his broken English about his wife so I'll try to retell it as best I can. You'll have to imagine his accent. :).

She say I wanna makka some food so go getta da cheese so I go.  I came back and she say where you getta da cheese so I say Romanos. She say aaah! thatsa no good.  Next time  go to  Tonys. So a few days later she say go getta da cheese but go to Tonys. So I go to Romanos and say I getta da cheese at Tonys. So she makka da food.  Then I say how you know the difference. She say mama mia "the taste, the taste." 

He said still i donta believe. :). 

Buono Italiano! Good job with that accent. Love the story. Gracie!

1 hour ago, Shari2 said:

Love it!  Italian? 

We have met some wonderful people on our cruises.  On our honeymoon we had a nice couple from Northern CA. at our dinner table.  We were on for two weeks, and they were on for one week...his boss gave him the cruise for being a great employee.  Anyway, we were traveling the Mexican Riviera, and after the first week we had stopped in Acapulco and our new friends  were leaving the ship and flying back home.  They were staying at a really nice hotel overnight and they asked us to come and visit and have dinner with them.  This was our first time in Mexico (outside of a short time in Tijuana for me) .  We met them at their hotel and they showed us their nice room and balcony...way up so high it made me dizzy just walking out there...LOL  We went to dinner and I remembered to not order any drinks or salads or things that might make us sick.  Marc said that this is a high class place so they will be careful about that.  Well...we had a week to go on our honeymoon, and we said goodbye to our friends, and went back to the ship.  The next day Marc got very sick...thankfully I got sick the next day...I only say thankfully since there was only one bathroom in our room.  LOL  We were sick for a few days...when we got home Marc called our new friends and they were sick also...so we figured out it was at the "high class" hotel dinner.  TMI, I know...sorry...but it was something that you don't forget...LOL  Very  nice couple, though.  We have kept in contact with some of the people we have met...some are very good friends from another cruise ship board.  Some I have contact with on FB. 

Same thing happened to us, Shari, on our first trip to Mexico back in the early 80's. We were real careful with the food and drink, but got sick anyway when we got home. In fact, the whole plane was full of sick people with barf bags. Ugh!

No fun when we're home being sick, but much worse when we're on vacation...was sick on my fist cruise to Hawaii, too.  I wanted to go to Hawaii almost all of my life...when I finally got to go, I got the respiratory flu that had been going around my work.  Didn't get shots back then...bummer.  I still had a good time, though...stayed in my room for a couple of days till I could stop coughing...tried to stay away from people for awhile so they wouldn't catch it, then went on a few adventures...we had our own driver, and I warned him that I had the flu...he was a young man and said that he never got sick, so hope he didn't. On our ship in Hawaii...the Constitution...they had a '50s party one night...that was the first thing I did onboard...they were giving out gifts for anyone who could name the person who sang certain songs...they said you had to come up and do a little twist (dance) if you knew the name, so they called the song, "At the Hop" and I went up and did the little twist and won the prize.  On the way out I saw a young man who was at our dinner table...he said it was so nice to see me out having fun...I told him that I had been trying to stay away from people since I had had the flu...he was a sweetie...he was there with his mom.  Even with being sick I have a lot of great memories of that time.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually put person and place in th tag line. 

He was amazing and had us sign his client book. 

I asked him to take us to a local place for lunch and Imwqs anticipating a nice place with a sidewalk table, big umbrella and well it was a classic lost in translation moment. He took us to a truck stop.??