• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Jason

Tornado footage from inside FLL Airport

Rate this topic

While several of our CruiseCrazies members were boarding their 10 day Panama Canal cruise in Fort Lauderdale, the surrounding area was hit by unusually strong storms which spawned 2 tornado touchdowns - Both just a few miles from the cruise port.   Here's some video footage taken from within the FLL airport of the wild weather outside.

Have you been in, or seen, a tornado before?  Tell us about it!

Wow...so glad everyone is OK.  Very scared of tornadoes.  Here in MN we get them a lot in the summer.  Had a small one up at our lake place years back...I was with my parents in their trailer when the storm came up from across the lake.  It turned so windy and the lake seemed like a hurricane.  Water was blowing up so high into the air...I was sitting outside the trailer and couldn't walk to get back into it... the winds kept me from standing and walking straight.  My step-dad ran out and got me into the trailer...not the best place to be for that storm either.  Everything turned black and the trailer rocked so hard I thought we would be thrown into the lake.  I just sat and prayed. The people next to us just had a camping trailer and the top was ripped off, and they were laying over their children.  Thank heavens the storm didn't last too long...when it cleared a little I saw a black cloud set down on the other side of the lake.  The people next to us were all ok, trailer was torn up, but kids were OK.  Trees fell on some people's cars.  Scary.  Had another one close to us a few years ago, but missed our house...we had some roofing issues and broken windows, but no other damage.  We do have some beautiful summers here, but whenever it gets hot and humid I am concerned about tornadoes.  In 1965, I think it was, we had 7 tornadoes come through here and damage the whole area where I am living now...didn't live here in the suburbs back then.  I was in the city and remember going into a Kresge dime store with a friend and all of a sudden the storm blew out a huge window of the store and we all ran to the back room...that was part of the seven tornadoes that went just past our area to destroy the Fridley area.  So glad everyone is OK there.  Tornadoes are not something to take lightly.  These videos are amazing...so glad the tornadoes didn't damage the airport.  Hope there wasn't too much damage downtown FL.

Edited by Shari2

@Shari2, that's one heck of a story.  Thankfully have never experienced a tornado and hope to never have to.  It sounds like a nightmare ... like out of the movies.  During Hurricane Irma, we had the hurricane shutters up so couldn't see outside .... and we started receiving multiple tornado warning alerts on the phone and tv, it was super creepy to hear of one in the distance and not being able to see it or know which direction it was heading.  Thankfully it didn't come near us and not much damage occurred where it did touch down.  Anyways, that's my closest call with a tornado.  Scary stuff!!

Growing up in MN ... Is it something you get used to over time, or every experience is just as frightening as the prior?

Jason...I can't imagine what it was like in the hurricane....I was watching and praying for you all. And I know that hurricanes bring tornadoes also.  So scary.  Especially if you don't have much warning for the tornadoes.  I don't think we get used to the tornadoes...it's always scary when you hear the sirens go off or if you're out driving in it.  Tornadoes often have a warning ahead of time, but sometimes in bad weather they just can show up, so the best thing is to keep track of the hot and sticky weather, and I watch the radar to keep up with things.  Some people will just stand out and video tape them, but I head for the basement...LOL  That must have been scary and creepy to not see  or know which direction it was coming from.  Still snowing here today...crazy MN weather.  Blizzard last night and lots of snow and whiteouts.  So ready for Spring...but not the tornadoes...LOL Those videos you had of the tornadoes were amazing.  So glad everyone is OK.

It was creepy indeed.  Each hurricane has a quadrant that is the most destructive with the highest winds and most tornadic quadrant - and of course that's the quadrant that we received that night while it was dark.  Attached is a screenshot of those eerie iPhone alerts I received for the tornado warnings - Can certainly cross that experience off my bucket list, that was one heck of a night.

Can't imagine snow and blizzards in April - Hang in there, spring is practically here.

IMG_7492.PNG

Wow!  So scary!  I hate the late night tornadoes...much better when it's daylight and you can also see the storm weather coming at you...late night the weather news is often not as good as daytime.  I just always get online and follow the radar on the weather maps.  It is a pretty good way to find the worst of the storms and see if they are coming our way.  Really great that you got warnings on your iPhone. Especially if the power goes out.   I just got one for Christmas and have a lot to learn about it.

Edited by Shari2

Wow, didn’t hear anything about this while we were in Europe.  Glad everyone is okay.

Growing up in the Midwest, we had tornado sirens and tornado drills all the time, and saw funnel clouds in the distance several times, but never had a close-up experience.  Now that we live in Florida we’ve been pounded by hurricanes several times, but I prefer knowing about a hurricane days in advance over the surprise of tornadoes.

@Shari2, totally agree with you - Hopefully won't have to experience another one like that.  Your phone should have settings that allow/disallow emergency alerts like that .. just make sure the settings are configured (most likely enabled by default).

@WeCruiseToo, That's one of many advantages about living here in FL - The only common natural disaster (knock on wood) is the hurricane and with days of notice, it's very easy to be as prepared as possible.

On 4/11/2018 at 10:41 PM, Jason said:

Have you been in, or seen, a tornado before?  Tell us about it!

In the mid 70s in my first life I was driving on the I-55 approach to the bridge crossing from West Memphis Arkansas to my home in Memphis when I witnessed a tornado hit the the bluff on the Tennessee side of the river. It picked up the dirt and went aloft and dumped the yellow looking dust on the city of Memphis. The tornado remained aloft and hit the ground just over the line in Northern Mississippi and destroyed a mobile home park where it killed a few folks. That was my first up close encounter with a tornado.

Those mobile homes must be no match for the stronger funnels ... or perhaps direct hits from even the weaker ones.  That's pretty creepy @KeithnRita, thanks for sharing.