• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Live from Panama Canal and Coral Princess

Rate this topic

Jan115

We’re now into Day 6 of a partial transit of the Panama Canal, round trip from Ft. Lauderdale, aboard the beautiful Coral Princess. After two relaxing sea days, we had a short stop in Aruba, followed by Cartagena, Columbia, and today’s main attraction - the Panama Canal. This morning we experienced passage through Gatun locks, quite a magnificent sight. Some are getting off to see the rest of the canal or do excursions. Many, like us, are enjoying the ship, much quieter with over half the guests off the ship. 

As expected, it’s oh so HOT and sunny here, and we do think of our friends up north who are still getting snow.?

Stay tuned for photos!

5706816C-483D-49C6-ACE2-5377865E73E9.jpeg

Jan, thanks for the LIVE update .. Love the photo.  That Panama Canal is an amazing sight, from your vantage point were you able to see the second, newer set of locks that I believe were finished just several years back?

Enjoy the heat and sun while you can, those up north are very much jealous for sure.

Looking forward to seeing the next update!

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Jan, thanks for the LIVE update .. Love the photo.  That Panama Canal is an amazing sight, from your vantage point were you able to see the second, newer set of locks that I believe were finished just several years back?

Enjoy the heat and sun while you can, those up north are very much jealous for sure.

Looking forward to seeing the next update!

As we approached the old Gatun locks, the wider lane to our left led to the new locks. I did catch a glimpse of what I think were the first gates to the new locks as we were returning back through the old locks later in the day. I have pics on my good camera, and will share those when I upload them later.

There are excursions available to those on the partial transit who want to see the new locks or continue through the canal to the Pacific side.

Today we docked in Limon, Costa Rica, where David and I did a ship excursion of the Tortuguero Canal through the rain forest. This was a 3-hour tour including the bus ride to and from the boat. We thoroughly enjoyed this relaxing ride through the jungle with a great, knowledgeable guide, and saw howler monkeys, sloths, a baby crock, lizards, colorful birds, plants, flowers and more. The boat wasn’t full, and we had plenty of opportunity to move about to get the best photos as it glided slowly along the water, turning so that both sides of the boat could see.

For maximum enjoyment, binoculars or a camera with a telephoto lens are helpful to see the animals high in the trees or in the distance. We got some great closeups, and I hope to get them uploaded when I return home.

A few notes about the ship. First, it’s warm. I usually have a sweater handy, but had no need for it on this cruise. The cabin hallways and the elevator areas are downright hot. Second, we have really enjoyed the food in the main dining room. Third, the internet has been very good, despite negative comments about wi-fi service I heard in advance of the cruise. Fourth, I love the fact that Princess has no towel police - they trust us with their towels! Fifth, did I mention fresh water pools? Best ever!

That’s all for now. Be back with more later.

Day 8: Sea Day.

We’re making our way to our last port of Ocho Rios, Jamaica. In the meantime, I’m going to spend my day doing a whole lot of nothing, what sea days are intended for. Here is the sunrise taken a few moments ago from our balcony - a corner balcony on the hump, facing forward, mid ship. Couldn’t ask for a better location!

805F06B2-D7C8-451A-A3E2-ABC46B7AA25C.jpeg

Hey Jan, can't wait to see the pics of the locks ... I've seen them from one of the viewing platforms but must be one heck of an experience to see them from the ship.  Your sunset pic is gorgeous.

Enjoy Jamaica, just posted an article tonight (link below) about how Port Royal in Jamaica will be receiving a floating pier in early 2019 so it can begin handling cruise liners.

Talk soon,

Jamaica, Mon! It was a picture perfect day here. While the other Crazies enjoyed a relaxing day on board, Miranda and I found ourselves on a private tour of beautiful Shaw Botanical Gardens and Firefly, the scenic hilltop home of the late English playwrite/actor, Noel Coward. I can see why the man chose to escape here - peace, quiet and stunning views. Pics to come - Wi-Fi isn’t playing nice today.