• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

So, Who Still Dresses Up for Formal Night?

Rate this topic

Jan115

Totally feel the same way, but in my "older" years now, I like to be comfy, too, so I usually do the silky, dressy pants, and the sequined tops or fancy tops, instead of the gowns.  I still feel "formal" and I still feel comfy.  Hubby wears a nice dark suit.  I also tell him he looks handsome...definitely a win/win.  LOL

Edited by Shari2

We semi dress. Wifey wears resort casual, usually slacks and nice blouse. I have not worn a sport coat for years. I do wear a vest, open neck dressy shirt and a chain and pendant.  Cruise  staff will not say anything unless a person is totally rowdy, as they do not want to offend anyone who may not come back for another cruise.  This is fact and I have seen it in action. Or, should I say lack of action.

3 hours ago, WilNic said:

We semi dress. Wifey wears resort casual, usually slacks and nice blouse. I have not worn a sport coat for years. I do wear a vest, open neck dressy shirt and a chain and pendant.  Cruise  staff will not say anything unless a person is totally rowdy, as they do not want to offend anyone who may not come back for another cruise.  This is fact and I have seen it in action. Or, should I say lack of action.

You are right, WilNic. I'm with Wifey. Nice pants and top is my dress-up du jour. In fact, I realized one day when looking in the closet that I own a total of one dress and one skirt. And I think all the Crazies have seen me in both, so I'll have to get something new for the next cruise.?

On 5/8/2018 at 4:55 PM, Shari2 said:

Totally feel the same way, but in my "older" years now, I like to be comfy, too, so I usually do the silky, dressy pants, and the sequined tops or fancy tops, instead of the gowns.  I still feel "formal" and I still feel comfy.  Hubby wears a nice dark suit.  I also tell him he looks handsome...definitely a win/win.  LOL

Wear whatever makes you feel special - and comfortable!?

On 5/10/2018 at 7:09 PM, Jan115 said:

You are right, WilNic. I'm with Wifey. Nice pants and top is my dress-up du jour. In fact, I realized one day when looking in the closet that I own a total of one dress and one skirt. And I think all the Crazies have seen me in both, so I'll have to get something new for the next cruise.?

You have me beat, Jan - I own no skirts and no dresses!

On 4/23/2018 at 7:51 PM, Jan115 said:

Since having cruised Norwegian "Freestyle" quite a bit in the past couple of years, I've started leaving the dress-up duds at home when I cruise. My husband and I cruised on Princess last week, and my husband left his sport coat at home. So we thought we'd see if we could still gain entry to the dining room anyway. Were we denied entry because my husband had no tie and jacket? Nope! Was he the only one without a jacket? Nope! I'm not offering any apology for shirking the rules, but rather Just making a point showing that cruise lines are less about enforcing formal dress these days. 

Which brings me to the question: Do you still take part in formal nights on board? If so, what's your style of attire?

We travel a lot on Princess, but we don't dress up for formal night, we just go to the buffet or a specialty restaurant that night.  We both had to dress for our jobs during our working years and when we retired we got rid of the dressing up clothes, and besides we are on VACATION, the only thing we don't like on our cruises for dinner is some guy wearing a baseball cap or a hate at the dinner table, this is the only thing the cruise lines should stop in the dining room, not because some guy doesn't have a tie or jacket on.. Sometimes we wonder were the guys manners went, Cruising is for relaxation and fun!!! So go and have fun and plan something else on formal nights...

I can agree with  that... if it is a more casual ship like Norwegian or Carnival...if sailing on the Queen Elizabeth or Mary I would want to dress up since most would be dressed formal for the formal evenings...mostly I agree it is up to us how we want to spend our vacation...and like you say, just need to have some manners.

37 minutes ago, Shari2 said:

I can agree with  that... if it is a more casual ship like Norwegian or Carnival...if sailing on the Queen Elizabeth or Mary I would want to dress up since most would be dressed formal for the formal evenings...mostly I agree it is up to us how we want to spend our vacation...and like you say, just need to have some manners.

37 minutes ago, Shari2 said:

Not, US!  We are on a Vacation to relax and enjoy the salt air...