• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Shari2

DAILY DOCK FOR MAY, 2018

Rate this topic

On 5/9/2018 at 9:41 AM, RayColey said:

Kelly, I agree that the 4-day cruises are all pretty fun, because you won't run out of things to do on the ship.  I can't say that I'm wild about Carnival, though.  

Hi Ray!  Thank you so much for your input!

I'm also skeptical, but determined to have fun regardless.  Living in Indiana, Mobile is the closest port and exclusively Carnival.  DH and I work both the day before and the day after the cruise, so we have to drive.  We had already booked a Christmas cruise and a February cruise with RC, but that just seemed sooooo far away, and I'm kind of a junkie now ( DH thinks I've lost my mind....4 cruises my 1st year.... where has this been all my life? ?), so it was either a Carnival 4-nighter or nothing. The addict in me opted for a cruise ?

Let me tell you the story of how my wife and I met MaryLou and Jim.  About 15 years ago, I was online and MaryLou posted - anyone else from PA going on this cruise - it was the old Celebrity Galaxy out of Baltimore.  We corresponded back and forth and decided to meet on embarkation day.  It was near the 4th of July - she said she would be wearing a sparking red, white, and blue top.  I found her in the terminal - Judy and I spent lots of time with them on that cruise and have cruised with them often since.  Our favorite was to Bermuda on Summit (same ship she was on when she passed away) for their 50th wedding anniversary.  We spent time onshore with them as well, visiting them at their home often where she always cooked up a storm and treated us royally - and in the summer Jim would barbecue for us.  We would meet for lunches and they would visit us as well.  Another great cruise with them was on Celebrity Eclipse for 14 days where we took turns taking care of the Crazie Bear - making sure she was dressed to the nines for formal nights.  MaryLou always had great advice for tour operators for shore excursions NOT via the cruise line, but private companies.  She was the expert - she will be missed - but there are memories we will have for a lifetime.

Hi Jackie - it's great to see you here again - now don't be a stranger!? Your trip - and your photos on Facebook - looked amazing! I hope you're going to join us on a CruiseCrazies 2019 cruise. We're in the planning stages, so come on over to the GROUPS section of the site and click on our 2019 Planning Group. We'd love to hear your input.

https://www.cruisecrazies.com/groups/9-cruisecrazies-cruise-2019-lets-plan/?module=clubs

1 hour ago, dentru said:

Let me tell you the story of how my wife and I met MaryLou and Jim.  About 15 years ago, I was online and MaryLou posted - anyone else from PA going on this cruise - it was the old Celebrity Galaxy out of Baltimore.  We corresponded back and forth and decided to meet on embarkation day.  It was near the 4th of July - she said she would be wearing a sparking red, white, and blue top.  I found her in the terminal - Judy and I spent lots of time with them on that cruise and have cruised with them often since.  Our favorite was to Bermuda on Summit (same ship she was on when she passed away) for their 50th wedding anniversary.  We spent time onshore with them as well, visiting them at their home often where she always cooked up a storm and treated us royally - and in the summer Jim would barbecue for us.  We would meet for lunches and they would visit us as well.  Another great cruise with them was on Celebrity Eclipse for 14 days where we took turns taking care of the Crazie Bear - making sure she was dressed to the nines for formal nights.  MaryLou always had great advice for tour operators for shore excursions NOT via the cruise line, but private companies.  She was the expert - she will be missed - but there are memories we will have for a lifetime.

What a great story, and thank you for sharing your memories of MaryLou. I'm sad I never got to meet her on a cruise in person, but she was always a very positive force here on the Dock. I remember when I first joined CruiseCrazies, she let me borrow Crazie Bear for my British Isles cruise. In fact, Crazie Bear is the profile photo in our 2019 Group Cruise Planning thread over in the GROUPS section - be sure to come over there and check it out. While you're there, throw out some ideas for our group cruise next year - we'd love to have you. We can all toast to our friend.

I will always think of MaryLou when I see that Crazie Bear.?

IMG_9721.jpg

Hi Everyone...keeping this short again...kind of a gloomy day today...seems to fit my feelings for the day.  Praying for MaryLou's family as they go through the funeral and burial today.  I know they are a close family and will all be there for one another.  Also thinking of 50 years ago today when I got married for the first time, and then lost my husband in a car accident in 1977.  It would have been 50 years together if we had stayed together...long story.  Just reminiscing on the good and the bad.  God has blessed me with Marc, and we are so happy together, so have much to be thankful for.

Andi...hope you didn't get all that rain from us.  Unless you need it for some nice green grass.  

Ray...so glad you got a book extension, and things are coming together now.  So great that your students did well in the All Shore Audition, and that the concert went well.  It will be so nice if you and Yuki can come to MN this summer.  You do definitely need a get-away from all that hard work.

Falina...it must be so exciting to be only 21 school wake ups away from retirement.  Congratulations...think you will love retirement after you get used to it!

Jason...thanks for letting us know about Danny Black's return...have enjoyed some of his writings in the past.  Will check out his blog.

Miranda...LOVE your emoji's  Where did you have them made...so great!?  So nice that you are having some good weather...we do need a little rain once in awhile for the nice green grass, though.

Jackie...so nice that you got to meet MaryLou and spend time with her and Jim, and also Martha and Lee.  MaryLou was a special lady, and we are all missing her.  Your cruise sounds so wonderful.  So wonderful that your daughter and SIL will be here for the first time, and that you will be able to cruise on the same ship with them.

dentra...so wonderful that you got to cruise with MaryLou and Jim, and to become great friends with them.  Love hearing your story...I remember MaryLou saying that she had cruise friends visiting and staying over.  Thank you so much for sharing with us.  

Hi to all Cruise Crazies...have a wonderful day!

TGI Friday, Crazies!  Lots of activity  - I love it!  Weather had been super nice all week until today - 50 degrees, windy and rain...blecch!  Sunday will be fun with brunch to celebrate Mother's Day and then a party afterward to celebrate Lucas' 8th birthday - my how time flies.  It seems like yesterday that we were waiting....and waiting....and waiting....for him to arrive; it took him 52 hours!  But he certainly was worth the wait, lol!

Jackie - Welcome back; please don't be a stranger!  I think of you often, especially as I contemplate doing taxes to bring in a little retirement money, and when I dream of taking a South Africa trip someday.  And now I see that you love transatlantics!!  We are thinking of doing one in Fall 2019 - but am wondering how the weather is on a fall crossing to Ft. Lauderdale - can you shed some light?  And you particularly mentioned the Brilliance - we love that ship - I am going to the RCCL website right now to check out their itineraries.

Shari - We did get your crappy weather, but hopefully will be out of here soon.  And you are right, it is making the grass really green, and the flowers are happy as well. 

Ray - Have been following the Caps - in fact am watching them "as I type"!  They are certainly doing a number on Tampa Bay tonight.  And I am happy because my Cubbies beat the living daylights out of the other MLB team in the city who shall remain nameless....nothing like a little crosstown rivalry, ha!  You mentioned a concert...did you perform concert after all, and did not tell me?!

Jan - I see we are scattered all over the place as far as our 2019 cruise goes.....I just cannot sail in April - AND - Easter is very late in 2019, so I'm hoping to even avoid it with Krista and Efrain...maybe going with them in March. 

Hi Falina!

Kelly - I'm from Illinois so know what you mean about getting to the ports - it's a pain and adds to the expense of the cruise!  But I absolutely understand you wanting to fill in the gap with a short cruise.  I just did the same thing today:  we have a cruise booked in February but that will be so far away from our river cruise the end of August, so I just booked a 7-day on Princess that departs November 11th.  Princess is running some good sales right now and I couldn't resist, ha!  Tell hubby that 4 cruises will do your mental health a WORLD of good and THAT will benefit him, right?!

Hope everyone has a great weekend planned and Happy Mother's Day to all of us Crazies!!

SATURDAY, MAY 12TH

Good morning y'all,

I wanted to post this a couple of days ago.

Hey Jackie, So good to see you back here again. I hope you are doing fine even after a great cruise! Hopefully you'll stop by some more again.

It wasn't that comfortable Ray, a little moist ?

I probably forgot to press 'submit reply', so I'm doing it now ? Sorry for being blond.

Shari, when you visit bitmoji.com and get an account, you can make your own emoji. I think yours would be great!

ANDI, PRINCESS IN NOVEMBER! Apologies for shouting, but where are you going on which ship?

All this cruise talk makes me looking for one too and I really have to take it a bit easy this year, but like you  Andi I can't resist.

Kelly, cruised once hooked forever that's for sure. One really needs multiple cruises a year, so you go girl!

Hope you're all having a great weekend,

Miranda

Good morning, all, and welcome to another weekend. It's going to be a cool, rainy one here, so I have a few indoor chores lined up. I also want to work on transferring content over to my new website, and since I'm sitting here with my coffee, I know which chore will win out. Kristin, James and kids are coming over tonight to celebrate Mom's Day and making a healthy dish for us to go with our new healthy lifestyle we're determined to stick with this time. Tonight we're attending a ballet and vocal performance for which Amanda will be singing a solo, and we're really looking forward to it. ?

Speaking of healthy lifestyles, David decided it was time to do something before it's too late, so just after the Panama cruise called up his fitness guru cousin Lisa for help, and she booked us with one of her excellent personal trainers. For support, I decided to go with him, and it's the best money we've ever spent. Our trainer, Vinny, beats us up for 30 minutes twice a week and challenges us with little goals, and, by God, it's working. David's lost 25 pounds. I've only lost 4, but we're feeling stronger than we ever have. The food part is the hardest. It's difficult to undo 60 years of bad eating habits, and it's a real game changer.

Miranda - I was born a blond so I will starting using that excuse, as well, for my all my increasing slip-ups.

Andi - We'll write off April, as both you and Jackie can't do April. I really like the HAL to Hamilton, Bermuda from Boston, perhaps late May or early June before the schools break. The Sky Princess, too, looks awesome. I specifically like the 11/10/19 itinerary with Gibraltar and a more relaxed itinerary with the sea days It includes. Maybe I can convince David to take the week off. Enjoy your Mother's Day - sounds like fun!

Shari - Your pictures from your first wedding were beautiful, and I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for you to lose Ben after being married such a short time. I am so glad you found happiness again.?

Jackie - It would be great to see some new faces on our 2019 cruise, and would love to finally meet you. Would Boston to Bermuda on HAL in late May or early June work for you, or the November cruise on Sky Princess? I have yet to do a transatlantic, but most of them are too long for us, or they only happen at shoulder season when we can't go.?

Ray, Debbie S. and all the other Crazies - Come over and join the 2019 Group Cruise conversation and add your 2 cents: 

Edited by Jan115

6 hours ago, Miranda said:

SATURDAY, MAY 12TH

Good morning y'all,

I wanted to post this a couple of days ago.

Hey Jackie, So good to see you back here again. I hope you are doing fine even after a great cruise! Hopefully you'll stop by some more again.

It wasn't that comfortable Ray, a little moist ?

I probably forgot to press 'submit reply', so I'm doing it now ? Sorry for being blond.

Shari, when you visit bitmoji.com and get an account, you can make your own emoji. I think yours would be great!

ANDI, PRINCESS IN NOVEMBER! Apologies for shouting, but where are you going on which ship?

All this cruise talk makes me looking for one too and I really have to take it a bit easy this year, but like you  Andi I can't resist.

Kelly, cruised once hooked forever that's for sure. One really needs multiple cruises a year, so you go girl!

Hope you're all having a great weekend,

Miranda

Miranda - it's the Regal!!  It's just a routine Eastern Caribbean: Princess Cays, St. Thomas and St. Maartin, but we mostly just want to be on this ship, so we probably won't get off in St. Thomas...been there so many times!

Thank you all for the great "Welcome Back" .... sure makes me realize how much I have missed you all.

Well we have had the worst 24 hours ... our daughter Yvonne (in South Africa) is in hospital. She has been in a coma and is now responsive, thank the Lord!  She has a 6cm benign tumor on the left side of her brain.  They are keeping her on Cortisone treatment for a few days to bring down the swelling some more and then they will operate.  A 9 hour surgery.  So I would appreciate prayers please.

Miranda, you will absolutely love the Regal.  We have done the Royal twice and it's by far my favorite ship so far......... so, so beautiful.

Jan, so sorry to hear that shoulder season doesn't work for you.  For us it's just the opposite ..... we love to cruise in Spring and Fall, few kids on board, weather outstanding (usually), just completed tax season and NEED a break and totally spoiled with all the Transatlantics!!  We do try and squeeze in a shorter cruise every once in a while too though - who doesn't love to take advance of cruising whenever they can??

Andi, If I can encourage you to do taxes I sure will.  I LOVE it, I have been doing taxes for 24 years and am in love with my clients (most of them) ..... love the extra money too ...... this is our cruising and safari money ?  We have done many Transatlantics in the Fall and have always had great weather.  Yes the Brilliance is brilliant ..... just got off her 3 weeks ago and looking forward to getting back on in September.

Kelly, I'm with Miranda, multiple cruises a year is the way to go, and even the short cruises are lots of fun.  My motto is cruise whenever I can, long or short cruises.

Shari, I am so glad you have found happiness again after losing Ben in such a traumatic manner.  Thank you for sharing the photo of your first wedding, he was such a handsome man and of course you are such a beautiful lady!!!!

Have a VERY HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY ladies .......