• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Shari2

DAILY DOCK FOR MAY, 2018

Rate this topic

Happy Mother's Day everyone!  We had a lovely day, despite the weather being cold and rainy.  Brunch this morning and then birthday cake afterwards.  Lucas had a great day and a great 8th birthday party. 

MIranda - I love your Bitmoji...I will have to see if I can figure out how to post mine!  All of you healthy people are putting the pressure on...I started back to the gym this past week - I'll have double up on my efforts (especially in the food department!)

Kelly - You do look great!  And soon to be 5 grandbabies!  Isn't being a Grandma the absolute best?  I only have one - my Lucas just turned 8 yesterday - and he will most likely be the only one, but that's okay.  Luckily he lives very close so DH and I pick him up from school 3 days a week and keep him 'til the workday is done; now that summer is coming we will help with summer camps, etc.

Ray - I'm all for the Nats and Cubs meeting in the playoffs - and yes, we will arrange SOMEthing - even if we can't get to a game (tickets for the Cubs here are hard to come by!!)  Your "funsies" concert sounds really cool - but if you do that Debussy I am serious about being in the audience!

Falina - I am sorry to hear about your Mom and yes, the "firsts' are very hard. 

Hope everyone has a great week ahead!

11 hours ago, cruisingcats said:

Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's!!

Wishing you a day filled with love, laughter and memories.

I will be spending my day with my stepmom.  My mother passed away

this last December and the last couple of days  have been hard.

We have lots of sunshine today and more tomorrow.  Love this weather and

I have tomorrow as I took a personal day.

Have a great day!!

Falina - 

So sorry about your mom. The holidays are hard, I know. My mom passed away Labor Day 2001, and no matter how much time has gone by, Mother’s Day is always a little sad without her. Enjoy the sunshine on your day off!?

On 5/12/2018 at 9:54 PM, LUVINMYHUBS said:

Jan, that is so awesome!! And yes, the food part IS the hardest.  DH and I started eating low carb/ keto a few years ago (we eat what we want on cruises though), and I thought I was going to DIE, lol!  I was such a sweets-aholic my whole life, I really had no idea how addicted I was to carbs. It was really, really difficult for me to break that craving for sugar. But we stuck with it, and have also started working out together, which motivates us because we're both doing it like a team and it keeps us going, when singularly we probably would have quit by now. It's never too late to get healthy!! (I was almost 50 the first time I ever went to a gym)  We also feel so much better, and there's a sense of accomplishment when we follow our workout routine. I also believe we've been sleeping better. Good for you guys getting healthy too!! Woo-Hoo for us! ?

Me, too, Kelly. BREAD! When I was a kid I could eat anything and never gain weight. Sunday dinner, all I cared about was the gravy, potatoes and the dinner rolls - several of them.? Well, all that bad eating caught up with me, and the older I get, the harder it is to lose.

Edited by Jan115

21 hours ago, RayColey said:

Jan, we got onto the dieting last year pre-Konigsdam.  Got back into our years-ago duds, which was nice... I never quite made it to my high school weight, but I got to within two pounds of it.  Now we've put some weight back on, and we're again going for a few months of disgustingly healthy habits, so we can be comfortable on the river cruise.  I expect there to be a number of walking tours, and we're determined to get in shape for those.  To that end, we did 4 1/2 miles today!  Yippee!  La Yuki wants to put the rest of the China cruise on her credit card instead of mine (am I going to argue with that?) so I'm wondering if that is possible with the folks at Viking?

Kelly, although we do enjoy the amenities of the cruise ships, we tend to be more into the places visited than most here on the Dock.  Thus, we only do an occasional Caribbean cruise.  Over the years, we gravitated toward Viking as giving the most bang for the buck, but a lot of that has to do with all the things that are included in the admittedly steep price.  It's nice having all the various restaurants, wines and excursions included, plus the airfare either included or at a BOGO.  (Also, once you get into the Viking spa (also included) you don't want to leave!!

Ray - Viking doesn’t care whose name or number they have for payment as long as it’s plastic! 

Now that you mention Viking and their deals, they have a great Mother’s Day deal going on, with 2 for 1 savings and free air for select cities, reduced air for others. And you can’t beat the smaller ship, more intimate experience, right??

18 hours ago, Jan115 said:

Ray - Viking doesn’t care whose name or number they have for payment as long as it’s plastic! 

Now that you mention Viking and their deals, they have a great Mother’s Day deal going on, with 2 for 1 savings and free air for select cities, reduced air for others. And you can’t beat the smaller ship, more intimate experience, right??

Jan, after our chat, Yuki and I went over the reasons we have chosen Viking as our go-to line.  Here's the list:

1. Either free or two-for-one air.

2. At least one free shore excursion at each port of call.

3. Free WI-FI throughout the ship.

4. Spa activities included, except for massage or pedi/manicure services.

5. Free use of exercise equipment, whirlpool, sauna and "snow room" - unlimited.

6. All specialty restaurants included at no charge.

7. Specialty coffee/tea available 24/7, no charge.

8. All cabins are verandas!

9. Ship can get into small ports that the larger vessels can't manage.

10. When going into a port, you know that the 900-passenger Viking ships will not disgorge a quantity of passengers equal to the entire population of the town!

11. Transfers, which are included, are first-rate.  On our Christmas Market cruise, the agent actually walked our luggage through customs!  These agents are incredible, making sure that your top-rate service begins the moment that you see a Viking sign!

We'll probably stick with Viking for a while...

Ray

I just wanted to let members know that my wife and I attended MaryLou (cruisetarp) funeral on Friday.  I always hate to say this, but in this case I must tell all of you she looked so peaceful and nice.  I found out from Jim she actually passed in her sleep which makes us all feel a little bit better.  Jim and his family need all our continued prayers at this time.  I must share one thing that brought tears to my eyes - viewing her I noticed something in the corner of the casket.  Her sea pass card was tucked in the fold of material on the lid of the coffin - that was just something that got to me as we sailed with MaryLou and Jim many times.  She passed away at her "happy place."  You all know cruising was her first love, and Bermuda was her favorite island.

Thank you for sharing. It does indeed bring some comfort to know she passed peacefully - on her terms, I guess you could you say - at a time and place which held so much personal meaning. ?Praying for Jim and family as they grieve the loss of MaryLou.

57 minutes ago, RayColey said:

Jan, after our chat, Yuki and I went over the reasons we have chosen Viking as our go-to line.  Here's the list:

1. Either free or two-for-one air.

2. At least one free shore excursion at each port of call.

3. Free WI-FI throughout the ship.

4. Spa activities included, except for massage or pedi/manicure services.

5. Free use of exercise equipment, whirlpool, sauna and "snow room" - unlimited.

6. All specialty restaurants included at no charge.

7. Specialty coffee/tea available 24/7, no charge.

8. All cabins are verandas!

9. Ship can get into small ports that the larger vessels can't manage.

10. When going into a port, you know that the 900-passenger Viking ships will not disgorge a quantity of passengers equal to the entire population of the town!

11. Transfers, which are included, are first-rate.  On our Christmas Market cruise, the agent actually walked our luggage through customs!  These agents are incredible, making sure that your top-rate service begins the moment that you see a Viking sign!

We'll probably stick with Viking for a while...

Ray

Thank you, Ray, for being Viking’s biggest cheerleader - both ocean and river cruises. While their price tag may seem high - all one needs to do is look at what’s included, the unique experience, and all the above you nicely outlined for us that sets them apart from the rest. Let me know which 2020 itinerary you decide on - count me in! ??