• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Water skiing behind a cruise ship! [Video]

Rate this topic

Jason

This may have happened a good number of years ago, but it's so unique that it's definitely worth sharing once again in case you haven't seen this before.  There's a quick video below too, to see it for yourself.

In 2010, Jan Schwiderek in partnership with the AIDA Cruises line, performed a stunt of water skiing behind the 68,500-ton (GRT) cruise ship AIDAbella for more than six minutes to achieve a Guinness world record.  

The stunt was performed in 2010 off the Spanish coast in the Bay of Alicante as passengers and crew aboard the 252 meter AIDAbella gathered at the stern of the ship to watch in awe.

To make this happen, a "rolling start" was deployed in which Jan Schwiderek was pulled up by a speedboat while on the skis at full speed of 14 knots.  The stunt lasted for 6 minutes and 25 seconds and to this day is the current world record for pulling a water-ski rider.

So, who wants to water ski behind a cruise ship?

View full article

Land of 10, 000 lakes here...some say even more.  We used to go to the lake a lot in the summer and my step dad used to try and get me to water ski...totally afraid of it...I can't even swim...which is strange that I also love the sea so much...LOL  This is amazing... skiing behind a cruise ship!