• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Which is your favorite ship and why?

Rate this topic

zebra

Ours is Celebrity's, Infinity.  Just liked the way of the ship, and the food was great, entertainment was great, and the service was great...all time best for us above any ship at the time.  It has been a few years since we have cruised now, only because of my health issues.  Would love to try Princess and others, but would still cruise on Celebrity, and that's even after the Infinity had some pod issues back on our Panama Canal cruise, and we had to get off the ship in Acapulco for the last three days.  Unbelievable last three days, but we sailed on her again to Hawaii the next year after she was repaired.  Celebrity is still my favorite.

I could say the cliche of "the last cruise ship I sailed on is my favorite", but in this case it would be true!  The Crazies sailed on the Coral Princess in April and that truly is my favorite ship so far.  It is a bit different in that the dining venues are all in the front, but for a ship that sails to places such as the Panama Canal and Alaska, it makes sense.  I also love the way the public rooms have been redone, with lots of rich tones, wood, and wall art.  It makes these venues seem warm and inviting.  The layout of the lido restaurant was very functional, yet spacious - we never had to search for a table, and we weren't sitting on top of one another.  There were plenty of deck chairs in great spaces and always seemed to be bathrooms and bars nearby!    In our 28 cruises we have never "met" a ship we did't like, but I truly felt relaxed and at home on this ship.

Andi, it was so great to read about the Coral Princess.  We have cruised on so many Princess ships yet never on a Panamax ship (Coral or Island) and they are certainly on our bucket list.  Thanks for the info - we need to work on going on her, for sure.

Well like most people we have been on many ships that we have really enjoyed. Twice we have been on the Royal Princess and can honestly say this was the prettiest ship we have ever sailed on.  We loved the colored musical fountains on deck at night and their movies under the stars with pillow and blanket, popcorn, ice-cream and cookies all brought around during the show were fabulous.  We loved the set up of the Lido restaurant ..... huge and seperated areas worked wonderfully.  Love this ship!!!

1 hour ago, zebra said:

Andi, it was so great to read about the Coral Princess.  We have cruised on so many Princess ships yet never on a Panamax ship (Coral or Island) and they are certainly on our bucket list.  Thanks for the info - we need to work on going on her, for sure.

Jackie - We have sailed on the Island Princess twice - it is completely different from the Coral (unless they redid it again...)  I loved the Island alot, but the Coral is above and beyond even that, so choose the Coral if you can!

I have to agree with Andi - the Coral is my favorite, as well - ease of getting around, the beautiful promenade deck, decor, the forward and aft crew doors on Aloha & Baja decks that are open to guests on Panama and Alaska cruises, the dining in the front, the bump out cabins, and a variety of covered, partially covered, and uncovered balconies. Regarding balconies, just be sure to know which are covered and which are not so that you’re not disappointed.

From what I gather, the Island and Coral used to be same. Then Princess renovated Island, removing some favorite features and changing some of the public areas around. It’s my understanding that Coral was supposed to get an identical reno, but so many people complained about the Island, that the changes for Coral were abandoned. I can’t remember exactly what the complaints were about, but may be you know, Andi, since you’ve sailed both?

11 minutes ago, Jan115 said:

I have to agree with Andi - the Coral is my favorite, as well - ease of getting around, the beautiful promenade deck, decor, the forward and aft crew doors on Aloha & Baja decks that are open to guests on Panama and Alaska cruises, the dining in the front, the bump out cabins, and a variety of covered, partially covered, and uncovered balconies. Regarding balconies, just be sure to know which are covered and which are not so that you’re not disappointed.

From what I gather, the Island and Coral used to be same. Then Princess renovated Island, removing some favorite features and changing some of the public areas around. It’s my understanding that Coral was supposed to get an identical reno, but so many people complained about the Island, that the changes for Coral were abandoned. I can’t remember exactly what the complaints were about, but may be you know, Andi, since you’ve sailed both?

Jan - You are right - there are things they did to the Island that they scrapped for the Coral because of the negative feedback, one being doing away with the walk-around on the Promenade deck.  They also removed the observation areas aft, no Universal Theater, which I thought was a beautiful space (they added more cabins instead,) no International cafe...things like that.   I did love all the wood trim and cozy atmosphere on the Island; but now that I have sailed on the Coral, I realize what the Island is missing!

Ours is the Holland America Maasdam. Been on it twice, 15 years apart. We like the small size, only 1250 passengers. The domed pool is nice and they still have dancing in the Ocean Lounge as well as the Crow's Nest. We've also been on sister ships, Veendam and Statendam. Sure wish HAL would move a ship closer to us like to New Orleans or Mobile.