• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Which is your favorite ship and why?

Rate this topic

zebra

K&R, We loved the Maasdam as well. She used to go out of Tampa which was great for us. The only thing I found a little strange about her is that she didn't have a Centrum area per se. But our cruise experience was excellent and the staff were amazing!

Do not really have a single favorite ship. Cruising now is more about finding a Cruise Line with a itinerary that I want and the right timing, port, etc.  Having cruised on everything from small luxury shies and lines to the largest ships in the World, I now have a size ship I like vs a single ship.  Ships in the 70,000 to 110,000 GTW seem to work best for me. 

The cruises being offered by Princess here in Asia are working best for me right now. But we will see what happens in the future. 

ExpatCruise I agree with you on the size of the ship and we also love the size of Princess ships.  Even though we have cruised most and love Royal Caribbean and really like their mid size ships our favorite ships are still Princess ships.  Oh so many awesome ships and so little time .... right???

Zebra,

With you being located in Florida, you have the best choice of cruise lines and cruise ships in the World. Also it seems the lowest cost of cruising, with great last minute deals.  My first cruise was from Florida, thirty years ago it was a easy trip to jump on a airline Boston to Florida to catch a cruise. 

Now time is not a problem or issue. It is more about finding cruises that fit our needs. We like to stay in Asia but it is hard with visa issues and timing.  We travel with US & Philippines Passports which creates its own issues. 

But you are correct so many great ships, time to try them all.

Just now, zebra said:

ExpatCruise, where do you live? Are you close to a port?

I live in the Philippines with my wife, we are about 2 hours north of the Port of Manila. 45 minutes from the port of Subic Bay (Past US Navy Base).  Really, no cruises starting here in the Philippines except for Star cruises, tried that never again, worst cruise in history.

The upside I have is about 10 minutes away from a great Airport. With great cheap flights to the cruise ports of Singapore & Hong Kong.  It is a good place to live for Asian Cruises, really do not mid a short fight to start end a cruise.

That's great - both Singapore and Hong Kong are on our bucket list ...... as well as Phuket, Ho Chi Min, Bali and so on, and so on. The only problem is the loooong flight from Tampa, Florida to get to any of the above ports.

Zebra  yes it is a long flight will not mislead you. Have made the flight maybe 30 times from Boston to SE Asia.  If you fly east to west you need to plan two days to get here about 30 hours, and one day to get home (Because you pick up a day) Best flight I have had is about 24 hours Airport to Airport.

You also now have the choice to fly west to each and stop in the Middle East, with some of the nicest airports in the World. Dubai is the best airport in the World.  All the ports and places you list I have been too, lived in Thailand  & Singapore before the Philippines.  I really like Vietnam, so much so I have booked the same Princess Cruise & ship two times this year. First south to North and three months later North to South.

The good news is once you are here all the places you listed are close to each other, about a 3 hour flight. Many smaller carries here offering low airline ticket prices, with the games played by American carriers.  A idea would be to break up the trip. For Example Emirate Airlines offers no added cost layovers in Dubai, so you could fly to Dubai, take a break in the city 1 2 3 4 days, whatever you like and then finish the fly.  The ticket cost US to Asia is the same with or with the extended lay off. 

ExpatCruise - thank you so much - that's a lot of good information. It sounds like the best option for us going through Dubai.  I need to check into this .... again thank you.