• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Jan115

Lose Before You Cruise - What's Your Story?

Rate this topic

Is anyone on CruiseCrazies like me, needing an upcoming cruise to inspire you to lose weight? Some of you probably have never had to worry about weight. I used to be that way BC - before children. Then it all changed. My weight has been like a yo-yo for the past 20 years or so - lose 10, gain 15, lose, 5, gain 10 - so as you can see, it's been a losing battle. I recently started working with a personal trainer to help me get back on track. It's been three months and I'm happy to say I'm down 11 pounds since I started, which was right after our CruiseCrazies cruise in April. My next cruise is coming up in mid-August, and I hope to shed a few more before then. 

Things I've learned with the personal trainer:

1) Start small - one step at a time. It took me 36 years (following the birth of my first daughter) to gain the 50 pounds I collected. It won't happen overnight. 

2) Set a water goal - drink at least 96 ounces a day

3) Record everything you eat - the good, bad and the ugly. Do it the old fashioned way, pad and paper - or download the popular fitness app - MY FITNESS PAL - and record there. 

4) Move! You need to burn off what you take in - at least some of it. The strength training and weights at the gym help, but so do a walk around the block, a hike up the stairs or a bike ride - anything to get you off the couch. 

5) Develop an exercise routine. Once you start moving, make it a daily habit. For me, morning before work is the best time to get a work out. I find that if I wait until after work, it won't happen. 

6) Start the day with protein in your breakfast. It will give you a healthy start and boost to your day. 

7) Lastly, buddy up with a friend. I've been on a plan on and off over the years, but this time, I joined my husband on his quest to lose a significant amount of weight. We contacted my cousin fitness guru who happens to own a personal training studio, and asked for help. It turned out to be a great decision for us, as it gave us the push we needed to reach our goals. 

For those who have been fighting the weight battle in recent years, how has it been working out for you, and what's your plan?

If you're on a quest to lose or just be healthy, come on over to MyFitnessPal dot com, "friend" me (jan115) and we'll do it together!

Photo: Me, at the hotel gym before the CruiseCrazies Panama cruise - a woman true to her word!

IMG_0228.JPG

Great post, Jan.  Thanks for sharing!!  Many of us can definitely relate to feeling this way about the pre-cruise weight goals, just like before any other vacation.  

I'm with you on the water, moving around as much as possible and developing an exercise routine.  Something else that has really helped me in the weeks leading up to any vacation ... Reduce carbs as much as possible.  It's amazing how quickly you can see results just by cutting carbs for a few weeks, combined with the other steps such as a steady exercise routine.  

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Great post, Jan.  Thanks for sharing!!  Many of us can definitely relate to feeling this way about the pre-cruise weight goals, just like before any other vacation.  

I'm with you on the water, moving around as much as possible and developing an exercise routine.  Something else that has really helped me in the weeks leading up to any vacation ... Reduce carbs as much as possible.  It's amazing how quickly you can see results just by cutting carbs for a few weeks, combined with the other steps such as a steady exercise routine.  

White bread and potatoes - pretty much my diet when I was growing up. I've managed to substitute healthier choices, thankfully!?

Congratulations on the 11 pounds, Jan...Great ideas...I am kind of down in the dumps about losing anymore, after trying so hard in the past year, up and down here mostly, also, but I probably do  need something to look forward to, to get me going.  In the past I did always try and lose some weight before the cruise.  At least the amount I though I might gain from the fabulous eating on cruises.  I have been getting inspired to get going again, and I had thought of "MyFitness Pal."  Haven't been on there for quite a while.  Have a friend from an old Cruise Board who has lost around 75, (at least) pounds.  He is going mostly without bad carbs and, walking, and exercising on a bike. 

Great ideas, though.  Maybe they will inspire me to get going again.  Thanks for the great post.

I’ve always tried to knock off a few pounds pre cruise. It’s always a battle. After a 4 day cruise, scale is usually up 5 pounds but if I get back on track I can get half of it off quickly because some of the gain is due to salt 

3 hours ago, GottaCruz said:

I’ve always tried to knock off a few pounds pre cruise. It’s always a battle. After a 4 day cruise, scale is usually up 5 pounds but if I get back on track I can get half of it off quickly because some of the gain is due to salt 

Cheryl, I would think that a few rounds on the dance floor would ward off any weight gain for you.?

21 hours ago, Jan115 said:

Cheryl, I would think that a few rounds on the dance floor would ward off any weight gain for you.?

Jan, I wish. Although we dance alot, the dancing cannot keep up with the amount of calories consumed, unfortunately. The food is too good for me to deprive myself. :biggrin:

Jan and Cheryl you both inspire me.  I NEED to get back on track.  I like Weight Watchers, it works well for me ..... I really need to rejoin.

Jan, the only thing that's every worked for me is eating less and not focusing on food. My crocheting and knitting is a great tool for keeping my hands busy. You can't eat while you're knitting or crocheting.