• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Arguments for the Biggest Cruise Misconceptions

Rate this topic

Jan115

I’ve heard all the excuses in the book on why a cruise is a bad idea. Most of the time, I hear them from people who swear they hate cruises but have never stepped aboard a ship. Well, I have at least one argument for each and every naysayer, and here they are, in no particular order.

Cruising is boring.  All you do is lie around and eat. Gone are the days of shuffleboard and chess. These things are still available, but so are high energy activities, as anyone who has cruised a mega Royal Caribbean ship will tell you. Roller skating, ice skating, zip lining, surfing, rock climbing, are the order of the day. Fitness centers are state of the art, and entertainment features real, live Broadway shows. Boring? Hardly! So eat your fill, and then go burn off those calories with a workout in the gym or a whirl around the dance floor.

Cruise ships are full of loud, rude people who line up at the buffet like cattle and load up their plates - multiple times. Granted, it may seem that way at peak meal times, and people can seem unrefined and downright barbaric. There are other ways to enjoy the variety of cuisine on a large ship. Try a leisurely, no-rush, breakfast or lunch in the dining room. Order room service. Try a light lunch at an onboard cafe, such as the fabulous International Cafe on Princess ships. Go to the buffet earlier or later when the crowds have died down. Finally, if a big ship full of thousands of people is not your scene, choose a smaller ship or an upscale, luxury line. Viking Ocean cruise ships, for instance, hold less than 900 guests. Compare this to a ginormous Royal Caribbean Symphony of the Seas with over 6,000! Better yet, try a Europe river cruise with less than 200 people on board, for a quiet, more intimate experience. There is a cruise for every type of personality. You just have to look for it, or seek out an expert cruise agent to help match you with the right ship.

I hate boats. No, this isn’t the canoe you flipped over in the lake. With the big, resort-size ships of today, you won’t even feel like you’re on one. Really!

I’ll get seasick. There are so many motion remedies on the market, there is bound to be one that will give you the relief you need. By choosing an interior cabin on a low deck, mid ship, you’ll feel the least amount of motion. If you have a higher toleration for motion, and want to splurge, get that balcony, but choose a mid-ship location.

I don’t want to take a tour with 200 other people on a long, hot bus ride. You don’t have to. Depending on your level of comfort, you can hire a taxi right off the ship to take you where you want to go. If you like the camaraderie of others, have your travel agent find you a small-group tour. If you have the bucks, hire a private guide - depending on where you are and what you want to see, this is well worth the expense. Sometimes just a stroll in port or a snack and a cold one overlooking the view or the town square are all you need to get a feel for a place.

I don’t want to be stuck on a boat for a whole week. If you’re not entirely sure about this cruising thing, try a shorter 3-5 day itinerary to get your feet wet. I have a feeling you’ll end the cruise wishing you had more days.

I’ll only get a glimpse of a destination. This may be true, but only if you don’t plan ahead. Most people disappointed in a cruise destination are those who didn’t choose what they want to see, and plan on how they would see it. You don’t have to see everything - choose one or two highlights to focus on. Instead of arriving at a port and wasting time fumbling with maps and figuring out what to do, research the destination well in advance of the cruise and make a plan. It will make the whole experience much more enjoyable, and you can always come back another time, by land or sea, and check out what you missed - or decide it’s not worth a re-visit.

Noro Virus! Cruise ships have gotten a bad rap in recent years over the occurrence of noro virus. Yes, the close confines of a ship can assist in spreading the virus, but so can a hospital, a ride on a bus, a school cafeteria, a resort, and even your own home. Ships are doing a good job of sanitizing and spreading the message of good hygiene practices like hand washing and hand sanitizing (and no way more evident than the “washy washy” girls at the buffet on Norwegian Cruise Lines). Guests should do their part, as well.

I’ll be forced to socialize. Nothing is further from the truth. By nature, cruising is a social kind of vacation. Rest assured, though, that no one is going to force you to play trivia, watch some dudes in a hairy-chest contest, or do anything you don’t want to do. If reading a good book in a quiet place is your type of relaxation, then go for it. There is even a library on board! If a slice of pizza is your idea of a 4-course meal, then there’s no need to suffer through forced conversation in the dining room if that’s not your thing. It’s your vacation - do whatever makes you happy!

There is a whole ocean of ships - from the largest mega resort at sea, to the smallest expedition style ship. Take a look at cruising with an open mind, and with a little research and help from the experts. you’ll find the perfect vacation for your lifestyle and budget.

Photo Credit: Pixabay

5499228E-7DE2-4B60-BAAC-D20D9FDAC046.jpeg

D407AD67-8245-405F-82A6-14B8B5E75FDC.jpeg

Edited by Jan115

Great article, Jan.  I remember when we cruised with my sister-in-law and her husband...it was their first time.  Her hubby said that he would be bored on the cruise.  It was the Panama-Canal cruise.  He was definitely not bored, and they booked another cruise to Hawaii with us...lots to do and see.

4 hours ago, Shari2 said:

Great article, Jan.  I remember when we cruised with my sister-in-law and her husband...it was their first time.  Her hubby said that he would be bored on the cruise.  It was the Panama-Canal cruise.  He was definitely not bored, and they booked another cruise to Hawaii with us...lots to do and see.

Exactly my point, Shari! Don't knock it, until you've tried it, right??